SideSlide is an advanced, portable, unobtrusive, dockable, skinnable, instantly accessible, highly configurable Desktop Extension on Steroids.
Clean desktop clutter and make your computer friendlier and faster than ever before. With unique use of containers and various innovative features, SideSlide lets you get instant access to everything you have and much more. The program respects your system and keeps all of its configuration files in a single folder.
Dock and hide SideSlide to any screen edge; browse through your favorite RSS news feeds, keep shortcuts to files, folders and URLs you frequently visit; execute various commands quicker than ever; add multiple notes; multiple, sizable, picture slideshows; schedule reminders; save web snippets and more. Customize it to emphasize the things you use the most and make more information accessible without occupying precious screen space. By using containers you can shrink and fold, downloading ready-made containers from an online library, linking containers to actual folders on disk, detaching containers from the workspace to claim additional space, various ways of launching multiple shortcuts at once, shortcut tags, zooming in and out of shortcuts, news feed reader, keyboard navigation and launcher, different skins, different size pictures, picture containers and colored notes; SideSlide is designed to make a great deal of content instantly accessible.
- Instantly accessible and adjustable workspace that stays out of your way until you need it.
- Add multiple shortcuts, commands, URLs, RSS news feeds, pictures, reminders and notes.
- Resizable, detachable, foldable and shrinkable containers extend the workspace beyond the limits of the screen.
- Mouse & keyboard support with a full-blown keyboard launcher and directory navigator.
- RSS news feed functionality allows you to track what you are interested in the most.
- Keep your eyes on multiple picture slideshows that are easily added.
- Floating, colorful notes are quickly created and adjusted in bulk or separately.
- Shortcuts can be tagged for additional functionality and organization.
- Various ways of launching multiple shortcuts with a single click.
- Link containers to actual folders on disk (launch, move, copy and delete files).
- Shortcuts, URLs, text and pictures from Windows or your browser can be dragged & dropped in the workspace.
- A growing online library with ready-made RSS news feed and shortcut containers.
- Every style and setting in the entire program and for each individual object can be customized.
- Fancy special effects that don't slow you down.
- Comes with multiple themes and wallpapers and you can also define your own style.
- Supports portable setup and the ability to load objects from a relative path.
- Much more...
New and Changes
- Nicer automatic label formatting when adding URL shortcuts to top level domains ('http://', 'www.' and '.com' are stripped from the label | New >> Web URL).
- Workspace titlebar is no longer displayed using bold font, and indicates (lighter color) whether the workspace is in focus or not.
- The Floating Toolbar (left click an empty space to quickly create different objects in the workspace) now appears slightly to the side of the mouse pointer and not directly below it.
- Connection Proxy setting is now taken directly from Internet Explorer ('Set Proxy' under the Setting Dialog has been removed).
- New 'File not found' icons
- Maximizing the workspace will no longer cover the Windows Taskbar area.
- New command under the Position menu: Maximize/Restore (the menu at the top right corner of workspace).
- The tooltip for shortcuts and containers is no longer displayed when the workspace is not in focus (use the Grab Focus option if you want to activate the workspace using the mouse without clicking it).
- Suspend Auto-Collapse setting is saved and restored when the program starts.
- RSS icon is not displayed on program startup when loading RSS containers unless the 'Load on Startup' option is selected.
- Pressing the [Esc] key will now firstly unselect containers and shortcuts then dock the workspace.
- Misc. minor changes.
- Number of selected shortcuts disappeared after refreshing RSS containers.
- Previously selected shortcut which was no longer selected was re-selected after shrinking back containers.
- Number of selected shortcuts remained visible after removing shortcuts.
- Number of selected shortcuts was not shown when dragging shortcuts to containers or links from Explorer.
- Impossible to create folder and note containers when using the "Draw to Create" setting.
- Fixed crash when trying to resize or move an invalid picture.
- Fixed a rare crash when exiting the program.
- Fixed high CPU usage on some machines when starting shortcuts from detached containers while the On Top setting is disabled (thanks Garvin!).
- Workspace collapsed after starting a shortcut and the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked.
- Workspace brought back into focus after launching a shortcut when undocked or the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked.
- Expanding a container when the Floating Toolbar was still visible could have prevented the workspace from collapsing properly.
- Wrong label displayed when editing RSS search terms.
- Workspace occasionally collapsed unintentionally when expanding containers.
- Keyboard didn't work in the workspace when there were shortcuts selected and the On Top setting was disabled.
- The Shortcut Mini-Toolbar remained visible after pressing Ctrl+U to unselect shortcuts.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.