It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
- ExtEnc: Added %(outputbasename) to insert output filename without extension.
- ExtEnc: Editor UI now has a drop-down for tokens.
- Filters: Expanded color space support in resize filter.
- Preview: Return now also stops preview.
- AVI: Added Copy button to AVI file information dialog.
- AVI: Fixed bitsPerPixel value for NV12 output.
- Capture: Improved error handling in screen capture module.
- Capture: Fixed sporadic errors in DXGI 1.2 screen capture mode related to tracking pointer shape changes.
- Capture: Spill drives can be adjusted on Windows XP.
- Display: Fixed regression in D3D effects display mode.
- ExtEnc: Fixed weird selection behavior when duplicating item.
- Filters: Fixed script operation for Convert Format filter for the new modes.
- Filters: Fixed crash when attempting to crop video in a format that isn't AVI-compatible.
- Filters: Fixed cropping errors on alias format filter.
- Filters: Fixed issues with interpolate filter in nearest mode.
- GIF: Fixed shifted presentation timings when reading animated GIFs.
- Render: The processing priority setting now correctly adjusts the priority of filter and compression worker threads too when multithreading is enabled.
- TARGA: Fixed vertical inversion issues during read.
- UI: Add Windows 8.1 per-monitor DPI awareness support.
Apps similar to VirtualDub 3
More than a simple screen recorder, Camtasia gives you the tools you need to truly customize and edit your videos.
CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer.
Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with all games using DirectX or OpenGL technology.