VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
Virtual machine descriptions in XML.
The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
Guest Additions for Windows, Linux and Solaris.
VirtualBox has special software that can be installed inside Windows, Linux and Solaris virtual machines to improve performance and make integration much more seamless. Among the features provided by these Guest Additions are mouse pointer integration and arbitrary screen solutions (e.g. by resizing the guest window). There are also guest additions for OS/2 with somewhat reduced functionality.
Like many other virtualization solutions, for easy data exchange between hosts and guests, VirtualBox allows for declaring certain host directories as "shared folders", which can then be accessed from within virtual machines.
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- VMM: don't access the MSR_IA32_SMM_MONITOR_CTL MSR if dual-monitor treatment is not available (KVM workaround, bug #14965)
- VMM: another fix for handling certain MSRs on ancient CPUs without VT-x support for MSR bitmaps
- VMM: fixed VERR_SSM_LOAD_CPUID_MISMATCH errors when restoring a saved state with SMP guests on hosts without the CPUID/HTT bit set (bug #16428)
- VMM: fixed a bug in call gate emulation
- VMM: FWAIT instruction fix
- VMM: fixed a sporadic guest hang under certain conditions
- GUI: hide the mini-toolbar from the taskbar and the pager on certain X11 hosts
- GUI: better error handling on the global settings / network / host-only / DHCP server settings
- GUI: fixes for full-screen with multiple screens
- Host-only Network: fixed host-only adapter creation issue preventing VirtualBox installation on Windows 10 hosts (bug #16379)
- NAT network: fixed two potential crashes in the DHCP server
- ICH9: fixed incorrect initialization of the primary bus for PCI bridges (5.1.14 regression)
- Storage: LsiLogic fix for Windows 10
- USB: fixed not being able to attach certain USB devices having invalid characters in the device strings (5.0.18 regression; bug #15956)
- USB: several fixes for the USB/IP support (bug #16462)
- VBoxSVC: fixed another crash during shutdown under rare circumstances
- VBoxSVC: fixed a stack overflow on (Windows debug builds only; bug #16409)
- OVF: when importing an appliance handle more than 10 network adapters if the OVA was created by VirtualBox (bug #16401)
- OVF: fixes for exporting and importing appliances with many disks (bug #16402)
- VBoxManage: fixed regression with modifyhd --resize (bug #16311)
- rdesktop-vrdp: source code tarball fixes
- Linux Installers: do not rebuild kernel modules unnecessarily (bug #16408)
- Linux hosts: added an action for opening the VM manager window to the .desktop file
- Linux hosts / guests: Linux 4.11 compile fixes (bug #16506)
- Linux Additions: added vboxsf FS modules alias (bug #16404)
- Linux Additions: fix for the shared folders kernel module to compile on Linux 4.10
- Linux Additions: properly install the Linux kernel module override rule on distributions without /etc/depmod.d
- Windows Additions: fixed a crash with recent Windows 10 builds if 3D is disabled (bug #15973)
Apps similar to VirtualBox 5
Software for developers and system administrators for software development, testing and deployment.
Run virtual machines created by VMware Workstation, GSX Server or ESX Server.
Create multiple virtual machines on any Intel-based Mac.