- Run any virtual machine. Run virtual machines created by VMware Workstation, GSX Server or ESX Server. VMware Player also supports Microsoft virtual machines and Symantec LiveState Recovery disk formats.
- Access host PC devices. Use host CD/DVD drives, network adapters, and plug-and-play USB devices.
- Copy and paste. Copy text and files between the virtual machine and the host PC.
- Drag and drop. Drag and drop files between a Windows host PC and a Windows virtual machine.
- Multiple networking options. Virtual machines can share or obtain new IP addresses or be isolated from the network and host.
- 32- and 64-bit host and guest operating system support. Run a wide variety of virtual machines containing 32- and 64-bit operating systems simultaneously on the same physical PC. Compatible 64-bit guest operating systems include select Microsoft Windows, Red Hat, SUSE, and FreeBSD distributions.
- Adjustable memory. Tune virtual machine memory for optimal performance.
- Configurable shutdown. Power down or suspend the virtual machine when closing VMware Player.
- Integrated Google Search. VMware Player includes Google search capabilities, fully integrated for conveniently searching the web without launching a browser.
- Windows 10 2018 Spring Creators Update (Version 1803) as host and guest
- Ubuntu 18.04 support as host and guest
VMware Workstation Player provides the following support for Windows 10 Creators Update:
- Run Windows 10 Creators Update as a virtual machine
- Run Windows 10 Creators Update as a host operating system
- Windows 10 Creators Update Auto Detect and Easy Install
- Unity support for Windows 10
New Guest operating systems support
Support has been added for the following operating systems:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Fedora 26
- CentOS 7.4
- RHEL 7.4
- Debian 9.1
- Oracle Linux 7.4
- SLE 12 SP3
- OpenSUSE 42.3
New CPU enablement
- Intel Skylake and AMD Ryzen CPU support is enabled.
Virtual NVMe support
- Workstation 14 Player introduces a new virtual NVMe storage controller. NVMe devices require virtual hardware version 13 / ESXi 6.5 compatibility and later.
- Workstation 14 Player introduces Secure Boot support for Virtual Machines to ensure only trusted code is loaded by the UEFI firmware prior to the OS "handoff" process.
Network Latency simulation
- With new Network Latency Simulation feature, you can simulate a specific network environment along with existing network speed and packet loss simulator.
Native OVF support
- With improved OVF/OVA support, Workstation Player provides an effortless walkthrough to deploy the VMware VCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) OVA package for testing and experimentation within Workstation. VCSA6.0 and 6.5 are supported.
New GTK+ 3 based UI for Linux
- Linux Workstation Player UI has been rewritten to support GTK+ 3.
Apps similar to VMware Player 5
VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Software for developers and system administrators for software development, testing and deployment.
Create multiple virtual machines on any Intel-based Mac.