GParted is the Gnome Partition Editor application. Before attempting to use it, here is some basic background information.
A hard disk is usually subdivided into one or more partitions. These partitions are normally not re-sizable (making one smaller and the adjacent one larger). The purpose of GParted is to allow the individual to take a hard disk and change the partition organization therein, while preserving the partition contents.
GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems on them. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another (disk imaging). See Features, before using it.
GParted uses GNU libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables.
Several (optional) file system tools provide support for file systems not included in libparted. These optional packages will be detected at runtime and do not require a rebuild of GParted.
GParted is written in C++ and uses gtkmm for its Graphical User Interface (GUI). The general approach is to keep the Graphical User Interface as simple as possible. Every attempt was made to conform to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.
GParted comes under the terms of the General Public License
- The underlying GNU/Linux operating system was upgraded. This release is based on the Debian Sid repository (as of 2016/Jul/23). * New upstream fluxbox 1.3.7+git7525226-drbl3. The window bars missing issue is gone.
- The underlying GNU/Linux operating system was upgraded.
- This release is based on the Debian Sid repository (as of 2016/Jan/19).
- New GParted 0.25.0. Linux kernel was updated to 4.3.3-5.
- Due to the change in Debian repository, no more i586 linux kernel, so now GParted live only provides i686, i686-pae and amd64 releases.
Apps similar to GParted 3
Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks.
Partition and multi boot manager with a powerful and simple to use.
Win32-based backup and restore utility that creates a snapshot of an entire partition.
- Windows XP/Vista/7