digiKam is an advanced digital photo management application for KDE, which makes importing and organizing digital photos a "snap". The photos are organized in albums which can be sorted chronologically, by folder layout or by custom collections.
Tired of the folder constraints? Don’t worry, digiKam also provides tagging. You tag your images which can be spread out across multiple folders, and digiKam provides fast and intuitive ways to browse these tagged images. You can also add comments to your images. digiKam makes use of a fast and robust database to store these meta-informations which makes adding and editing of comments and tags very reliable.
digiKam makes use of KIPI plugins for lots of added functionalities. KIPI (KDE Image Plugin Interface) is an initiative to create a common plugin infrastructure for digiKam, KPhotoAlbum, and GwenView. Its aim is to allow development of image plugins which can be shared among KDE graphical applications.
An easy-to-use interface is provided that enables you to connect to your camera and preview, download and/or delete your images. Basic auto-transformations can be deployed on the fly during image downloading.
Another tool, which most artists and photographers will be familiar with, is a Light Table. This tool assists artists and photographers with reviewing their work ensuring the highest quality only. A classical light table will show the artist the place on the images to touch up. Well in digiKam, the light table function provides the user a similar experience. You can import a photo, drag it onto the light table, and touch up only the areas that need it.
- import pictures
- organize your collection
- view items
- edit and enhance
- create (slideshows, calendar, print, ...)
- share your creations (using social web services, email, your own web allery, ...)
- Image selection bugs (multiple and single selections)
- Remote control support (lirc)
- Connection to camera lost after download + delete of pictures
- Slideshow is blurry/pixelated if opengl transitions are enabled
- In right-click popup, large amounts of tags run off the screen and cannot be accesed.
- Tag hierarchy or popups is difficult to follow/understand.
- Sort order by date sometimes wrong, if pictures have exactly the same timestamp
- Incorrect sorting among tags for non-english characters
- Digikam - Camera - Kodak C310 - Shows images but cannot delete/transfer
- large print is sent to printer but is taking hours to print - when opening with gimp->print then no problems
- Wish: Simple virtual resize and crop tool
- digiKam recognise Rollei dr5 automatically but does't connect it.