High Image Quality
- 96-bit (floating point) processing engine.
- Non-destructive editing.
- Get the most details and least artifacts from your raw photos thanks to modern and traditional demosaicing algorithms: AMaZE, DCB, AHD, EAHD, HPHD, IGV, LMMSE, VNG4, Mono and Fast.
- Advanced color handling from white balance to HSV (Hue-Saturation-Value) curves, color toning and color management.
- Powerful CIE Color Appearance Model 2002 (CIECAM02) module.
- Enhanced exposure and tonality tools: tone and Lab curves, highlights and shadows tools, tone mapping (HDR-like effect), etc.
- Multiple denoising methods: luminance, chrominance (both rewritten in 2012), impulse (for salt and pepper noise) noise reduction.
- Several tools to enhance details: unsharp mask, RL deconvolution, contrast by detail levels.
- Multi-threaded algorithms for high performance (RawTherapee can utilize modern processor features, like SSE).
- Quick thumbnails load lightning fast and are replaced later with live thumbnails.
- Batch processing: convert all the developed images at once without loading the processor while you work.
- Copy/paste editing parameters from one file to many other. Partially copying and/or pasting is also possible.
- Basic tools immediately at your hands.
- Parallel editing of multiple images in separate editor tabs, and/or all at once from the file browser.
- An optional secondary display can be used.
- Wide variety of supported cameras: almost all DSLRs and even some medium format bodies are supported.
- Can load most raw files including 16-, 24- and 32-bit raw HDR DNG images, as well as standard JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8-, 16- and 32-bit logluv) images.
- Can save JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8- and 16-bit) images.
- Advanced control over the algorithms with many fine-tuning parameters and curves.
- Can send to GIMP or the editing tool of your choice in one click (16-bit TIFF file).
- Command line usage besides the normal graphical interface.
- Various layouts: multiple tabs, single tab with filmstrip, vertical tab with filmstrip, dual monitor.
Freedom for Free
- RawTherapee is free and open source software, meaning you can use it free of charge, wherever you like on whatever hardware you like, as long as you abide by the copyleft GPLv3 license. Download the source code, modify it, feel free to do what comes to mind. We believe in open software.
- It is cross-platform: Linux, Mac, or Windows, be it 32-bit or 64-bit - you pick, we provide.
- International: it is available in 25 languages
New Features since 5.1:
- GIMP plugin to open raw images in GIMP using RawTherapee - see RawPedia.
- "Remote" mode (-R command line option) to allow opening images ("Open with" or passed as arguments) in a full-fledged instance. The -R mode allows you to open an image in an already-running instance of RawTherapee, if that instance was also started using -R. Opening an image without the -R option will open RawTherapee in "no-File-Browser" mode which lacks the File Browser and Queue tabs, and the Preferences button.
- Added DCP profiles for accurate color for:
- FUJIFILM X-T20
While this release introduced several new features, the main focus was to refine what's already there. Both the speed and stability of various tools and of RawTherapee in general were significantly improved, particularly when dealing with folders containing thousands of images.
Most significant improvements:
- 4x speedup of the Microcontrast tool.
- CIECAM02 curves no longer cause a sudden jump in brightness.
- Improved stability in METM (Multiple Editor Tabs Mode) in Windows.
- Improvement to the MEOW (Multiple Editor Tabs in Own Window) mode.
- LCP files lead to better results.
- Large speedup and stability improvement when opening folders containing hundreds or thousands of images.
- Many memory leaks fixed.
- Pixel Shift speedups, reduction of memory requirements, and motion mask preview accuracy improved.
- The preview of the Tone Mapping tool is now much more accurate at any zoom level.
News Relevant to Package Maintainers
- Requires GTK+ version >=3.16, though 3.22 is recommended.
- RawTherapee 5 requires GCC-4.9 or higher, or Clang.
- Do not use -ffast-math, it will not make RawTherapee faster but will introduce artifacts.
- Use -O3, it will make RawTherapee faster with no known side-effects.
- For stable releases use -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX=""
- For development builds and release-candidates use -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="5-dev"
News Relevant to Package Maintainers
- BZIP2 support removed - no more BZIP2 dependency.
- Added possibility to use system KLT library if available, otherwise our shipped version is used.
News Relevant to Developers
- Announce and discuss your plans in GitHub before starting work.
- Keep branches small so that completed and working features can be merged into the "dev" branch often, and so that they can be abandoned if they head in the wrong direction.
- Use C++11
- Code must be run through astyle.
Apps similar to RawTherapee 3
Image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows.
Photoshop CS2 pushes the envelope with powerful features and simplified workflows that provide photographers and creative professionals the freedom to deliver stunning images.
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. A freely distributed photo retouching, image composition and image authoring program.