High Image Quality
- 96-bit (floating point) processing engine.
- Non-destructive editing.
- Get the most details and least artifacts from your raw photos thanks to modern and traditional demosaicing algorithms: AMaZE, DCB, AHD, EAHD, HPHD, IGV, LMMSE, VNG4, Mono and Fast.
- Advanced color handling from white balance to HSV (Hue-Saturation-Value) curves, color toning and color management.
- Powerful CIE Color Appearance Model 2002 (CIECAM02) module.
- Enhanced exposure and tonality tools: tone and Lab curves, highlights and shadows tools, tone mapping (HDR-like effect), etc.
- Multiple denoising methods: luminance, chrominance (both rewritten in 2012), impulse (for salt and pepper noise) noise reduction.
- Several tools to enhance details: unsharp mask, RL deconvolution, contrast by detail levels.
- Multi-threaded algorithms for high performance (RawTherapee can utilize modern processor features, like SSE).
- Quick thumbnails load lightning fast and are replaced later with live thumbnails.
- Batch processing: convert all the developed images at once without loading the processor while you work.
- Copy/paste editing parameters from one file to many other. Partially copying and/or pasting is also possible.
- Basic tools immediately at your hands.
- Parallel editing of multiple images in separate editor tabs, and/or all at once from the file browser.
- An optional secondary display can be used.
- Wide variety of supported cameras: almost all DSLRs and even some medium format bodies are supported.
- Can load most raw files including 16-, 24- and 32-bit raw HDR DNG images, as well as standard JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8-, 16- and 32-bit logluv) images.
- Can save JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8- and 16-bit) images.
- Advanced control over the algorithms with many fine-tuning parameters and curves.
- Can send to GIMP or the editing tool of your choice in one click (16-bit TIFF file).
- Command line usage besides the normal graphical interface.
- Various layouts: multiple tabs, single tab with filmstrip, vertical tab with filmstrip, dual monitor.
Freedom for Free
- RawTherapee is free and open source software, meaning you can use it free of charge, wherever you like on whatever hardware you like, as long as you abide by the copyleft GPLv3 license. Download the source code, modify it, feel free to do what comes to mind. We believe in open software.
- It is cross-platform: Linux, Mac, or Windows, be it 32-bit or 64-bit - you pick, we provide.
- International: it is available in 25 languages
- New default processing profiles, now the default look for raw photos closely matches the out-of-camera look with regard to tones and includes lens distortion and vignetting correction.
- New histogram matching tool, to have RawTherapee automatically adjust the image for you to match the out-of-camera look with a single click of a button.
- New HDR Tone Mapping tool to compress the light in scenes with a high dynamic range, allowing you to show details in both shadows and highlights in a realistic way.
- New Local Contrast tool to boost clarity using a simple interface.
- New color toning method L*a*b* Color Correction Grid.
- New RCD demosaicing algorithm to minimize artifacts even with artificial lighting and strong chromatic aberration.
- New thumbnail overlay icons in the File Browser and Filmstrip to help you distinguish normal images from HDR and Pixel Shift ones.
- Added support for showing out-of-gamut areas based on the output profile.
- Added support for reading and writing metadata and ICC profiles to and from PNG images.
- Added support for processing Sony Pixel Shift ARQ raw files - make sure that the ARQ extension is enabled in Preferences > File Browser > Parsed Extensions.
- Create Sony ARQ raw files using https://github.com/agriggio/make_arq
- Added support for saving 32-bit floating-point TIFFs clamped to [0;1].
- Added profiled chromatic aberration correction support using Lensfun.
- More tools now have an on/off switch.
- The user interface is cleaner, with all power-house tools moved into a new "Advanced" tab to prevent slider-shock to newcomers.
- The Metadata tab now lets you choose whether you want to copy metadata unchanged, edit metadata or strip metadata when saving images. Now you can also make metadata changes in batch mode.
- The choice of whether the main histogram should display information using the working profile or the output profile is now available from the Editor tab's top toolbar.
- The Crop tool's aspect ratio now defaults to that of the image, and RawTherapee automatically zooms-to-fit the crop once it's placed.
- RGB input-type ICC profiles can now be used as output profiles.
- The saved reference image for profiling (created from within the Color Management tool) now contains metadata.
- PNG and compressed TIFF images make use of better compression.
- Shortcut key changes: Zoom-to-fit the crop using "f", fit the whole image using "Alt+f".
Apps similar to RawTherapee 3
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. A freely distributed photo retouching, image composition and image authoring program.
Image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows.
Photoshop CS2 pushes the envelope with powerful features and simplified workflows that provide photographers and creative professionals the freedom to deliver stunning images.