Smpathy uses Telepathy for protocol support and has a user interface based on Gossip. Empathy is the default chat client in current versions of GNOME, making it easier for other GNOME applications to integrate collaboration functionality using Telepathy.
- Multi-protocol: Google Talk (Jabber/XMPP), MSN, IRC, Salut, AIM, Facebook, Yahoo!, Gadu Gadu, Groupwise, ICQ and QQ. (Supported protocols depend on installed Telepathy Connection Manager components.) Supports all protocols supported by Pidgin.
- File transfer for XMPP, and local networks.
- Voice and video call using SIP, XMPP and Google Talk.
- Some IRC support.
- For detailed list of supported protocol features see here
- Conversation theming (see list of supported Adium themes).
- Sharing and viewing location information.
- Private and group chat (with smileys and spell checking).
- Conversation logging.
- Automatic away and extended away presence.
- Automatic reconnection using Network Manager.
- Python bindings for libempathy and libempathy-gtk
- Support for collaborative applications (“tubes”).