This is a BETA version of the port of VLC media player to the Android platform. It is intended for power users and hackers. This version is not perfectly stable and is slower than the final version. It might kill your kitten, destroy your house and start the Mayan apocalypse. Use it at your own risk. Have fun!
That was the description for the first beta. This latest version 0.9.0 is pretty stable : )
- Plays all files, in all formats, like the classic VLC.
- Audio and video media library, with full search.
- Support for network streams, including HLS.
- Supports Android from version 2.1 (platform-7).
- Supports ARMv6, ARMv7 and ARMv7+NEON.
- Supports secondary display.
- Subtitles support, embedded and external, including ASS and DVD subtitles.
- Multi audio or subtitles tracks selection.
- Multi-core decoding, for Cortex-A7 A9 and A15 chips.
- Supports full hardware decoding.
- Gestures, headphones control.
- Audio equalizer
Most of you will need the ARM download. x86 is for Intel CPU tablets and phones.
As this is an BETA version, a lot of things are not finished, but will change for the final release:
- The basic User Interface will change again;
- Performance improvements are missing;
- Hardware decoding works only with a limited set of hardware;
- Other unknown issues.
- Seventh prerelease of VLC for Android (23th Beta)
- The 0.9.x series is major release with hardware decoding and a new interface available in dark or white colors. It integrates DVD iso and menu support, an equalizer, playlist management, Widi screens support and fixes some audio bugs on 2.3 and SD cards detection.
- Hardware acceleration is now enabled by default on 4.3+ and has better subtitles support. Software decoding has been accelerated too.
- This release fixes notably the audio equalizer.