In addition to sending free texts, you can also:
Message friends and contacts
- Get started fast — log in with your Facebook account, or just use your phone number
- Send voice messages, photos, smileys and other emoji
- Get push notifications
Make plans on the go with social messaging features
- Message a friend or start a group conversation
- Include your location to let friends know you're nearby
Chat and receive SMS messages
- Swipe left to see who's available to chat
- See your SMS and Facebook messages together in the app — currently only available on some phones
Messenger does all this using your existing data plan.
- Videos you shoot in Messenger can be saved to your phone's gallery.
- Plus, other fixes to make the app more reliable.
- Added iPad version. Launched today July 3, 2014
- Version 7.0
- Videos you shoot in Messenger can be saved to your phone's camera roll.
- Added Windows Phone version (126.96.36.199)
- More ways to message: Everything's front and center, so it's easier to send photos, voice messages and more.
- Video: Send videos from your phone's camera roll and when people send you videos, play them right in the app.
- Instant photo sharing: Take a photo and send it in just one tap, without leaving the conversation.
- Shortcuts to stickers: When someone sends you a sticker, press and hold down on it to get the pack.
- Improved search: Enter the names of people and groups to find them quickly.
- Other fixes, including to stickers and groups.
Software that can be used as an alternative to Facebook Messenger for Android: