Writer – a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
Calc – a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyse, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
Impress – the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations. Vector drawing tool Draw – lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
Base – lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within OpenOffice.org
Math – lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
Mac OS X Support
With Version 3.0, OpenOffice.org is now able to run on Mac OS X without the need for X11. Thus, OpenOffice.org behaves like any other Aqua application.
ODF 1.2 Support
OpenOffice.org 3.0 already supports the features of the upcoming version 1.2 of the ISO standard OpenDocument Format (ODF). ODF 1.2 includes a powerful formula language as well as a sophisticated metadata model based on the W3C standards RDF and OWL. ODF is being mandated and adopted in a growing number of countries. In addition; ODF is being implemented by many vendors for many different applications.
Microsoft Office 2007 Import Filters
In addition to read and write support for the Microsoft Office binary file formats (.doc; .xls, .ppt, etc.), OpenOffice.org 3.0 is now capable of opening files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc.). Thus, OpenOffice.org users can interact with users still using Microsoft Office. The various filters for the Microsoft Office file formats also make mixed environments possible, so that some users stay on Microsoft Office while others use OpenOffice.org.
OpenOffice.org now also has a solver component which allows solving optimization problems where the optimum value of a particular spreadsheet cell has to be calculated based on constraints provided in other cells. The new solver component should be particularly interesting to Mac users considering that Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X apparently does not include a solver feature anymore.
Many OpenOffice.org users requests support for displaying custom error bars and regression equations. The OpenOffice.org developer community including Sun listened to these users and added these highly desired features to OpenOffice.org 3.0. Thus; now it's possible to draw error bars based on error ranges provided in spreadsheet cells. In addition, it is possible to display regression equations as well as correlation coefficients.
1024 Columns Per Calc Sheet (Instead of 256)
With support for 1024 columns; OpenOffice.org 3.0 can now handle significantly more data than before. Previous versions only supported 256 columns.
Display of Multiple Writer Pages While Editing
When you are writing larger documents; it is often nice to see the current page in a context, i.e. to also see the previous and the next page. With the new zoom slider, it is now easily possible to change the zoom factor. More importantly, OpenOffice.org Writer can now display multiple pages at the same time. This features is particularly handy on large monitors or dual-monitor setups.
New, Fresh-Looking Icons
OpenOffice.org 3.0 got a new set of fresh-looking icons which makes OpenOffice.org a lot more fun to work with.
The Sidebar is a major new feature of the user interface in all of the OpenOffice applications.
The Sidebar makes better use of today's widescreen displays than traditional toolbars. The 'Properties' deck is context-sensitive and shows panels with the document properties that are most frequently used for the current editing task.
Different panels expanded or collapsed
- Eleven property panels have been migrated from IBM Lotus Symphony: Alignment, Area, Cell Appearance, Graphic, Line, Number Format, Page, Paragraph, Position and Size, Text and Wrap.
- Seven panels come from the old Impress tool panel: Available for Use, Custom Animation, Layouts, Recently Used, Slide Transition, Table Design, Used in This Presentation.
- Four are non-modal (ie non locking) dialogs: Functions, Gallery, Navigator, Syles and Formatting.
- One is new: Insert.
The width of the Sidebar can be adjusted. The controls adapt their size accordingly. If you need more space then it can be undocked — and possibly moved to a second display — or it can be reduced to a thin tab bar. A single click on one of the icons and the sidebar is back.
Fidelity and interoperability improvement is an ongoing goal for Apache OpenOffice. And there are many improvements going in to the new version. Here an overview of some of the major fidelity improvements since the Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 release, including features, enhancements and defect fixes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 is a maintenance release which fixes critical issues and improves the overall quality of the application. All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.0 or earlier are advised to upgrade.
General areas of improvement include: additional native language translations, bug fixes, performance improvements and Windows 8 compatibility enhancements.
- Performance Improvements/Enhancements compared to OpenOffice 4.0.0
- The performance for saving XLS files was boosted by more than 230%.
- Improvements/Enhancements missing in the OpenOffice 4.0.0 release notes
- OpenOffice 4.0 integrated the very popular extensions "Presenter Screen" and "Presentation Minimizer" into the core product.
- Crash when switching sidebar panes
- Crash with certain extensions
- Crash on Microsoft Windows with text in complex scripts
- Crash when deleting footnotes
- Loading *.123 files
- Rendering of charts with many data points
- Image rendering on Mac OS X
- Python compatibility has been improved
- Fixes to make C# extensions work
- Error on user profile migration regarding updating bundled extensions
- Error on opening Microsoft Office documents created in Apple iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
- HTML export losing paragraph formatting
- Crashes on PDF export in Writer's Page Preview
- Crashes in Writer when deleting content which had been copied to the clipboard
- Error/Crashes on importing Microsoft Word documents
- No possible keyboard text selection in Writer's text frames
- Lost database connection in text documents on save - related to Mail Merge
- Errors in Calc's filter functions
- Calculation error in IMABS() function
- Formatting error of boolean values in Calc
- Repaint errors in Calc which showed double lines and white stripes
- Various fixes/improvements for SVG files
- Fixed and improved visualization of transformed bitmap graphics for Linux
- Fix to exporting a bitmap graphic with a given pixel size
- Fixed Copy/Paste clipboard handling for transporting bitmap images (e.g. drag & drop or copy/paste from browser)
- Fixed Microsoft Windows-specific performance task with very large bitmaps, enhanced buffering for all systems
- Repaired some modes of text editing for graphic objects where the text was not always readable
- Fix to import of user-defined connector changes
- Corrected line width for anchor visualization in Writer
- Fixed EMF/WMF reader for some critical cases to enhance the import quality