Sign up for a new account or log in here:
The printer's cable (USB or Parallel) must be unplugged before proceeding.
1. Create a new folder on the hard drive: c:\dj840 before downloading the printer driver.
2. Download the driver to the newly created c:\dj840 folder.
3. Open the c:\dj840 folder and double-click the downloaded "exe" file.
4. Dialog boxes indicating "Loading Files" and "Please Wait" will appear indicating files are being copied. Wait until the files are finished copying.
5. Click "Install Printer Software" Note: If this screen is not present, check the taskbar for a minimized screen named "840c". Click on this item to activate this screen.
6. Follow the instructions on the installer screen.
Note: You may see a screen indicating the printer cannot be found. Click on the "Try to Locate Again" button to continue.
After the printer has finished installing there will be a screen requiring you to click "Done"
Note: There may be one or more printer drivers installed. To verify the correct printer has been selected, do the following:
1. Click on the Start Menu
2. Click "Printers and Faxes"
3. Verify that the "hp deskjet 840c series" is present.
Note: There may be more than one printer with "840c" in the name. The one WITH "series" in the name is the printer driver from HP. The one WITHOUT "series" in the name is the Built-In driver included in the Windows XP operating system.
4. Make sure the HP printer with driver with "series" in the name has a Check Mark next to it, indicating it is the default printer.
5. To make a printer the default printer, right click on the printer name and select "Set as Default Printer"
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.