Operating Systems Distributions Supported
The latest version of the AMD Catalyst™ Linux Graphics Driver software suite is designed to support the following Linux distributions:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite 3 and 4
* Novell/SuSE 10 product suite
The AMD Catalyst™ Linux Graphics Driver software suite may install on a number of other Linux distributions. Refer to the Package Generation installation instructions for more information.
AMD has accepted contributed packaging scripts to allows creation of other packages, but does not necessarily test, verify or warrant the reliability. Currently Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite and Novell/SuSE product suite are supported Linux distributions
* Before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst™ Linux Graphics Driver software suite, the following software must be installed:
* XOrg 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, or 7.2; XFree86 version 4.3
* Linux kernel 2.4 or higher
* glibc [version 2.2 or 2.3
* POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
The AMD Catalyst™ Linux Graphics Driver software suite no longer provides precompiled Kernel Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or kernel-source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
For best performance and ease of use, AMD recommends the following:
* Kernel module build environment - should include the following:
o Kernel source code: Either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
* ISSE Support enabled in your Linux Kernel
o Applies to Intel Pentium III and later CPUs only
o Enabled by default on version 2.4 and later kernels
* The rpm utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
The following packages must be installed in order for the Catalyst™ Linux driver to install and work properly:
This release on the AMD Catalyst™ Linux Graphics Driver software suite introduces support for Linux Kernel 2.6.20.
The Beta version 0.9 of the AMD Catalyst Control Centre: Linux Edition now features language Localization in: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Swedish, Spanish, Thai, and Turkish
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System.
We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
You can check back regularly for the latest updates at TechSpot's Drivers section or stop by our homepage for the best daily coverage of PC technology news on the Web.