Will you still love Google once it becomes a monopoly?

By on February 23, 2009, 8:24 AM
First, a few shocking statistics. Back in mid-2005 Google was barely ahead of closest competitor Yahoo by six percentage points at 36.5 percent search market share, as measured by comScore. Today that number has catapulted to a dominating 63 percent, while Yahoo remains second with 21 percent and Microsoft's MSN/Live have less than 10 percent market share. Also last year, Google posted record revenues of 21.7 billion and as of last week it's market capitalization sat at 96.4 billion, and that's considering its stock has tumbled to the $350s range from its record high of $714 a year and a half ago.

With those figures it's hard to argue that hip and playful Google is poised to become another in the list of large corporations, or at least be recognized as one soon enough, as pointed out by a recent article in the NY Times.

With both Yahoo and Microsoft troubled enough to take on Google in the short term, it'd seem that Google's excess of brand goodwill could take them even further in the coming year. In fact, some metrics different than comScore's are already putting Google ahead with over 70 percent of the search market. That begs the question, will you still love Google even if it's too big?

captain828 said:
Google is this big because of it's ads service combined with it's extremely popular (and efficient) search engine. Will we love them? it depends on what they do, how they use their power.They haven't showed any notable "Dark Side" effects like other corporations.IMHO, I don't like their approach with Chrome with the fact that they might pull the plug on their support for Firefox later on.For now... I guess we love Google. ;)[quote]First, a few shocking statistics. Back in mid-2005 Google was barely ahead of closest competitor Yahoo by six percentage points at 36.5 percent [b]market share[/b], as measured by comScore.[/quote]Don't want to nitpick, but I believe it should read: [b]search engine market share[/b].Since both GOOG and YHOO have services in many market segments, this could be a little confusing.[Edited by captain828 on 2009-02-23 09:16:07]
Eddie_42 said:
I never loved them to begin with.Its a search engine. I will admit that they have a high efficiency rate, but I've always found what I am searching for using other engines (Yahoo or alltheweb) without much hassle. Funny thing about progression of technology is that you have to keep up. When google started it had a revolutionary algorithm that changed how the engines work. Other companies have made similar changes to keep up.
jimmy5 said:
I still don't get how they can make 21.7 Billion. I mean I do know how it all works and the breakdown but it just boggles my me.I never click on a ad, I just type in the website address. Most of the sites are crap with pop-ups anyway. Who is clicking on so many ads that companys are paying them so much money? Online sale were about 150 billion so 21.7 of the revenue from that went to google?
poundsmack said:
becomes a monopoly? you mean you didn't already know it WAS a monopoly. they have entered into ever computer space imaginable and are spreading like the black death. I never did like google, was always a yahoo fan myself. i always got this wierd vibe from google, it just feels.... evil.
Badfinger said:
Whatever is effective in helping find what I need, I'll use, other than that, I could care less about what's behind it.I use Hostman with the MVPS Hosts block list for added protection and Firefox blocks a lot of ads with no effort on my part, and some other utils.
tengeta said:
The only IP addresses I allow from google are ones for searching. The rest are in my firewall as "block all traffic to these ip addresses".They take a lot of unnecessary information from people, and their future online health record thing honestly bothers the crap out of me. I've been doing everything to not use google until its my absolute last choice.
ratticon said:
To my knowledge, Google got where they are today by:- creating and maintaining a fast and efficient search engine- offering services that they believe internet users would like to see, without exploiting them to make a quick buck.- treating their employees well and demonstrating a willingness to try out and acknowledge new ideas.- developing their own software and tools internally, such as GFS, google maps, etc.Providing google doesn't exploit it's position at the top I am all for them being big. With G-Mail, they need to keep it free and not mimic what happened to Hotmail once Microsoft decided to create 'premium membership'.Android is a brilliant concept and works well in practise. A friend of mine has the G1 phone with Android and it has come in more useful than we imagined:-The google maps and GPS helped us escape a 2hr traffic jam, grinning like ******.- Google Talk instant messaging straight to the phone means I can talk to him whilst he's out at work being a postman. I can share links with him and he can read pages whilst walking from door to door, which makes his job a lot less tedious, and keeps up in touch.- One of the google gadgets saved us some money in a music shop sale by allowing us to photograph the barcode of a CD and look it up on amazon. Turns out the 'sale' in the shop wasn't affecting the price of the CD anyway, even with the fancy 'You save: 5' sticker.My point is, innovation has always kept Google ahead of the pack. If they keep innovating then I don't see what the problem is. We all benefit from advancements in technology and Google are at the forefront right now.
z0phi3l said:
ratticon said:
[b]Originally posted by z0phi3l:[/b][quote]The only people that "hate" Google are those that always jump on bandwagons, lately it's "cool" to hate on Google so they doPretty soon it will be another "big" business that will be the "cool" one to "hate" on[/quote]Agreed, along with 'Micro$oft', Apple, Starbucks, capitalism..."I for one will be boycotting Google, my hemp-powered eco-pc and free-range 100% recyclable Che Guevara T-shirt agree with me."
mtpagk said:
ratticon said:
[b]Originally posted by mtpagk:[/b][quote]imagine being a extensive user of google ..be it personal or professional...all users are leaving behind a their huge online footprint..if wished can be traced by google ...thanks to their technology..this is quite alarming situation both on personal and professional front...think what kind of search you do during office time..and at home ....I am sure, all you do online, you may not want to expose :)...[/quote]You could say that about your bank, the people you pay bills to, your credit card companies, the government passport control. There is something called the data protection act that prevents companies from exploiting and sharing your information.If google use search data and web usage statistics to learn about audiences it is no different from any other communication industry. Television has ratings- with digital TV/cable they know what you're watching. Music stores know what music you buy, and if you pay by credit card, can get your name and account number, and therefore your address.There is a certain amount of trust we need to put in businesses concerning our personal information. I don't think Google is a 'new threat' in this regard.
viperpfl said:
We are basing Google's popularity and success as being a monopoly. Don't blame Google for having a huge market share, blame the people who use Google. There are other search sites like Microsoft and Yahoo but people still choose to use Google.It would be no different than Apple having a huge market share with the Ipod. There are plenty of other MP3 players on the market but people still choose to buy an Ipod. Are we going to blame a companies success when it was the people who made the company successful?
yukka said:
I read an article about google a year ago that talked about their long term aims. They wanted to change the way people search for information.For example, a google phone that would know from previous search results at various times that you like to eat at a certain type of restaurant. It would also be able to know your location using gps so it could offer you restaurant to eat your favorite most searched food closest to your current location, at the time you eat usually.They also wanted to expand to the point where all the information required was held by google - whether that was an extension of the current cached mode, or the replacement of webpages embedding information in directly, I don't know. But being able to present the information in a way that they could continue to analyse your information digestion appeared to be of paramount importance.The problem comes when outside companies get the ability to search this information themselves via court orders. Google can say they wont let this information out but having a single company with all that power and information on their servers means that one change in a law could allow access to individuals and companies, and once that information is out there, it isn't coming back.So yes, I am a little scared about googles direction in the long term. They want to know so much about you that they tell you what you want, not the other way around. Unless their strategy changed, thats a little concerning.