Nintendo 3DS has killswitch for pirates?

By on March 10, 2011, 4:37 PM
According to GoNintendo, Japanese retailer Enterking has posted a warning on its website suggesting that Nintendo will brick 3DS consoles suspected of monkey business. Loosely translated, the site says that anyone who runs software or makes modifications unapproved by Nintendo might receive a firmware update that renders the 3DS unbootable. If true, it's safe to assume Nintendo is largely aiming at folks who use R4 flashcarts to play pirated games, which has been outlawed in Japan and the UK.

Nintendo issued an ambiguous statement to Eurogamer, but the company didn't confirm whether the 3DS has some form of killswitch. "We do not discuss product security details (for obvious reasons), nor can we discuss the details of countermeasures available in the Nintendo 3DS system," a spokesperson said. "Nintendo 3DS has the most up-to-date technology. The security has been designed to protect both the creative works in the software and to protect the Nintendo 3DS hardware system itself."

princeton princeton said:

Yah good luck with that. No system is perfect and when you end up bricking a group of legit systems your going to end up in court.

aj_the_kidd said:

I imagine that the kill switch is going to get quite a work out

BlindObject said:

They'll find a way to disable it. No doubt.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I dont care for pirating games and stuff but quit limiting people to what they can do. I'm sick of console systems trying to be like computers but want to be control freaks... ugh

yRaz yRaz said:

looks like I'm not buying one...

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

That's just great, I'm def. not even going to think about buying one now! just a mess with these 'kill switches'!

yRaz yRaz said:

bonniesmith said:

Something I forgot to mention in my first post is that I don't want to be treated like a criminal just for buying something and wanting to use it legitimately. I don't want to pirate games, but, as an enthusiast, I like to see what modifications I can make. most of the fun I get from these devices for me IS the modifications.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I have this feeling that if it's true hackers will go after the 3ds now just for implementing it and disable it. This feature only hurts the people who actually make them money which is disgusting! Not getting my money, hello Psp 2!

aj_the_kidd said:

xclusiveitalian said:

with all the dramas the PS3 is getting I expect the PSP 2 will have similar preventions as well, probably even more so

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

BlindObject said:

They'll find a way to disable it. No doubt.

There is always a way in.

yRaz yRaz said:

Lokalaskurar said:

BlindObject said:

They'll find a way to disable it. No doubt.

There is always a way in.

that's what she said?

They'll find a way to disable it. No doubt.

There is always a way in.

that's what she said?

Backdoor.

Sunny87 said:

No it's not a kill switch it's a warning like every system has that's out at the moment, if you install unofficial software you could potentially break your system if Nintendo release an update as the home brew you have installed could take up an IOS slot that Nintendo would like to know write to, if that happens and you have installed a custom IOS eg cIOS and the cIOS you have installed is system reliant eg the system needs it to boot this could "brick" the console, by law they can't break something you own but they can ban you from using there network. I put these sort of articles down to translation issues.

jwdR1 said:

I'd like to figure out when we bought into the idea that if you buy something, you don't actually own it.

foreverzero89 said:

jwdR1 said:

im thinking that this is a precursor to the government doing the same thing, if we accept this sh it from companies then its only a matter of time before the gov will come on and tell you that nothing is yours and everything is theirs. "live by their rules or die".

yRaz yRaz said:

foreverzero89 said:

jwdR1 said:

Look up what is going on in Pennsylvania with natural gas. The government is GIVING the power to the corporations. God bless America.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

A device you purchase and own... bricked purposefully by the manufacturer...

When you sell something you should expect that buyer to have full control over the product. If they *are* using it nefariously, then legal recourse should be pursued -- not some personal, punitive retribution.

Regardless of the reasons why Nintendo might do this, I believe this falls into the realm of expected reliability, warranty and ownership of a product. Europe ought to have a good time with this one.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

aj_the_kidd said:

xclusiveitalian said:

That's true, I was just mad lol It just seems like the dsi is still a better buy even over the 3ds if it's true. Who needs headache inducing 3d and bad battery life when you can get a dsi and play the same games anyway for cheaper.

ansh1993 said:

piracy users...BEWARE ! Kill switch ahead

If I visit the GoNintendo website am I guilty of Piracy. Nintendo should hire the bought corporate tool judge that ruled in favor of Sony earlier this month.

T77 T77 said:

As I always say, its just a matter of time before someone kills the killswitch..............:p