Mozilla releases Firefox 10 stable version

By on January 31, 2012, 2:30 PM

Mozilla has released Firefox 10 as a fully stable version available for download today. The latest iteration of the open source browser brings a number of minor changes that are mostly behind the scenes, since the big UI tweaks are being saved for version 12, says Engadget.

Highlighted on the change list is the new forward button that is now hidden until you first navigate backwards. It’s a small change but it makes sense as there is nowhere to go once you are already at the most current page.

Other changes include implementing anti-aliasing for WebGL and CSS3 3D-Transform support. Mozilla also says that most add-ons are now compatible with new versions of Firefox by default. New full screen APIs allow you to build a web application that runs full screen and there’s also a new element for bi-directional text isolation along with support for CSS properties.

Firefox 10 is the latest release from Mozilla as part of their rapid release cycle. After version 4, Mozilla split the development process of Firefox into several channels with each working on a different stage of development.

Under the current plan, a new version of the browser is launched every six weeks and allows the average user access to the latest features without having to wait for a full-scale update that could take several months to prepare.

This of course didn’t sit so well with enterprise users and as such, Mozilla introduced a new schedule called Extended Support Release (ESR) that gives business users more time to certify and test new releases before deployment.

A complete list of changes and bug fixes in Firefox 10 can be found here.

about time !

I believe you meant to say, "It's a small change but it makes sense as there is nowhere to go once you are already at the most current page."

and still no x64 version :(

I like firefox ..but i don't like their versioning system.

4 minor features, some fixes and a full major version increment is out! WTF!

RH00D RH00D said:

and still no x64 version

If you go to https://nightly.mozilla.org/ you can download a x64 version for Windows and Linux. It is the Nightly release version so it's not as stable as Aurora, Beta, or the final release version but it's still quite usable and great if you really want a x64 version.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Still no TLS 1.2 yet? Scary to say but IE is leading the market with one aspect of security!

"I like firefox ..but i don't like their versioning system.

4 minor features, some fixes and a full major version increment is out! WTF!

This is not a good way of competing with Chrome... quality is not in higher version number .. ! "

--> Version number has nothing to do with it. Its all about rolling releases out to users faster and in smaller chunks. Makes each update much easier for mozilla as there are less conflicts on any given release. Also we as the end users get finished pieces much sooner. So ff takes less memory, is faster, more stable, and more compliant then its ever been and its only getting better with each release!

"I expect it's still going to be sucking up a gigabyte of memory after a day or two of use. I don't want new features right now-- I want a stable browser that can handle the workload I throw at it."

-->If it is you might want to check your extensions. ff has fixed basically all serious memory leaks and fragmentation issues in the last 6 months of releases. If you figure out which extension it is, file a bug report. The folks working on firefox memshink would love to hear it.

The new firefox 10 does not allow me to add any addons still, any ideas?

that sounds very odd. try reinstalling firefox or check with the mozillazine forums for more technical help

I am still getting the "Firefox is already running..." error. I've tried all the fixes found online. Guess I have to change browsers. I am running Win 7 64bit.

control alt delete, then open task manager, then click firefox and select close program. That will close all running versions.