Chrome 24 fixes two dozen bugs, boosts speed, adds MathML support

By on January 11, 2013, 12:00 PM

The latest version of Google’s Chrome browser is now available for download. Chrome 24, available for Windows, Mac and Linux, offers two dozen security fixes as well as a number of speed improvements and new features like MathML support.

Users will likely notice that the browser is a good bit faster than previous revisions. According to TNW, Google’s Octane JavaScript test indicates Chrome 24 is the fastest version yet. When the beta launched late last year, the search giant touted the fact that the release was 26 percent faster than it was a year ago; it’s even faster now.

Google also now includes the ability to search bookmarks using their title. Matching bookmarks will be shown in the autocomplete suggestions pop-down list using prefixes. MathML, or Math markup language, makes it easier for the browser to display mathematical equations. This of course won’t appeal to everyone but we’re sure that there are at least some number crunchers out there that will appreciate the addition (no pun intended).

Otherwise, the update by and large takes care of a number of security fixes. Specifically, there were 11 fixes rated as High, eight deemed as Medium and five that were considered Low risks.

Three of the security fixes came as part of Google’s bounty program that awards individuals for finding security holes in software. In total, Google paid out two rewards of $1,000 and one for $4,000 – all deemed High level threats.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I don't see how they competition can survive amidst of all this... an outstanding product.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

With java disabled, I still have to paste this link http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138793n into the java/Privacy setting area to watch it.

IMO, Firefox & SeaMonkey are still better browsers by far.

It is to strange how ms drop the ball with the explorer, they had years of experience, huge company,, it is important for them, it is made for their own SO, etc. The explorer is actually the slower of the web browsers and in the past they wait for people starting switching to firefox before making any important improvement to their browser.

MilwaukeeMike said:

True, but it's not very profitable to spend a lot of time and money working on a product you're going to give away for free. Although, they could use it to guide people toward Bing, which can make money via ads. it is a good question...

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I'm still asked for new websites to make sure they work under IE6

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's definitely snappier than the last version, but the freezing tabs issue has returned on my system. The fix used to be to disable the "PepperFlash" plugin, but that is already down. Only way I can get locked up tabs to respond again is to pop them in and out of maximized mode. Weird behavior, but it occurs with irritating regularity when major Chrome updates hit, then is patched soon after. You would think that they could, oh I don't know, maybe catch a recurring known entity bug BEFORE major updates? Other than that, I still love me some Chrome...

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

I tried Firefox 18, nice GUI, and it's fast but only initially, because the time it fires up it starts eating up memory, then the lag starts. I would like to be able to go back to Firefox, mostly because of all the extensions, but overall Chrome's become my main browser. FF's memory leaks seem to still be there.

I too love Google Chrome but am tired of running my SAS scans & finding these

.doubleclick.net [ C:\USERS\THOMAS PAINE\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]

.invitemedia.com [ C:\USERS\THOMAS PAINE\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]

X many many more. I do not allow 3rd party cookies. Not to mention, disabling java I'm forced to go to settings > Show Advanced settings>Click content settings & paste the URLhttp://www.kirotv.com/s/news/live/ into the manage exceptions area of java script.

Thats why I still say Firefox & SeaMonkey are by far better. To each their own, I guess.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Are you running Windows? If you are you can install "Hostsman", it's a hosts file manager, DL it from Majorgeeks, always safe.

Additionally, you can, probably should install DoNotTrackMe, Chrome extension, any platform, it'll keep tracking and spying cookies and baddies from loading.

[link]

[link]

If you're talking to me, W7 Home Premium. Does Major Geeks give easy to follow step by step guides on how to?

I do have Do Not Track Me installed.

Here is a previous thread I had which is why I dumped it [link]

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

I do have Do Not Track Me installed.

Here is a previous thread I had which is why I dumped it [link]

Yes, I was talking to you. Now, Majorgeeks does not provide instructions, Majorgeeks is a repository, they have good stuff, good rograms and all, and you can trust Majorgeeks, it's one of my favorite sites to get software from. Now, like I said... no instructions, but you really don't need them, just download Hostsman and install it, then run the app, and choose update the hosts file, don't click on anything else on the application window, as the default settings are recommended.

The DoNotTrackMe extension, just install it, and you shouldn't see them nasty tracking cookies again next time you run a scan.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Ok, its a zip file. Did I get the wrong one or not?

learninmypc learninmypc said:

@Duckula22, I've done what you've suggested, now I'll see if it works.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Clear cache first, just to have a fair test setting.

Thanks, just did it.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

I just saw the question above, yes, it's a zip file, the installer should be in it.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I went ahead with it, hopefully correctly.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

@Duckula22, post #3 is another reason I don't care for Google Chrome. I will NOT enable java.

I don't have to be concerned with FF or SeaMonkey. Depending on this thread [link]

I may dump java till the nightmares are over. Thanks for your help.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"Chrome 24 fixes two dozen bugs"

Was this intended to be ironic, or perhaps symbolic on Google's part?

I guess it's "six of one, or half a dozen of the other", if it was.....(or wasn't).

Besides, I thought Chrome didn't have any bugs.....

I used to be an avid firefox user, when chrome came out I laughed and thought it would never be good as firefox, this was a while ago when firefox was at a much lower version/revision. My opinion has now changed, firefox is so bloated and slow, even on a good pc, chrome works well on all the computers I have even old ones with poor cpu's. I see no benefit to using it anymore, I guess customization could be one example, but even then there is nothing in firefox that I really want in chrome. It's a shame really, I used to think it was the best browser out there. :(

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

^ Same here, FF does feel more and more bloated with every new release, whereas Chrome feel lean, as if it's got no more code than what it needs in it. Now, if it comes to lightness, then Midori is the leanest and most responsive browser I've seen, Midori is also based on WebKit (I think), so it shares some code with Chrome, but the Midori devs, like a good butcher with a good knife, trim all the fat off of it. Chrome's got a great selection of extensions too, nothing to envy Firefox in that department.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I'm glad you two enjoy it. I'm seriously considering dumping Google Chrome for the last time since I'm tired of having to

allow alot of websites I use as I've mentioned in post #3.

My java is turned off because of this [link]

Thanks for the help, but I won't use GC for now.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Firefox is hosed by virtue of Google's ridiculous & bizarre version numbering system. Firefox is also at Google's mercy for money to continue its development. Explained in human behavioral terms, the relationship between Google and Mozilla is at once incestuous and homicidal, with Google being the aggressor.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to accept a little bit of a performance hit, to not have that Google spyware s*** on my PC, period.

Does anybody think Google is going to allow you to kill its own cookies? Because that's just plain naive.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Learninmypc, it's a good thing to think about online security, but your take seems a tad extreme. Yes, it's good you turned Java off, I don't even install Java in my machine. All tracking technologies sort of work the same way regardless of what browser you use. I think however that Chrome does a better job at sandboxing and keeping things separate, Chrome comes with its own Flash plugin, which for me is a big plus, because I really hate Adobe's Falsh installer. Now, if a plugin, whatever it may be, crashes in Chrome it's an entirely separate process that will not bring your session down, etc.. etc.. My point is that this focus on security may be a bit excessive, and it's preventing you from using a browser that is, again... IMHO, technologically superior, and ergonomically superior.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Do anybody think Google is going to allow you to kill its own cookies? Because that's just plain naive.

Probably not, but that's why tools need to be combined, it's a good think to use a good hosts file, this one's a good choice, and Hostsman (a hosts file manager, DL from Majorgeeks) will help DL and isntall that particular hosts file to your PC, it'll help you keep crap away from your browser.

Aditionally, there are extensions that block stuff, like tracking cookies from sources not listed in the hosts file, DoNotTrackMe is an example, and it'll block even things Google would not want you to block.

So, yes, you have to make some moves and adjustments to get Chrome going, but the same is valid for Firefox. Now, if you are purists you guys could always try Chromium instead, which is what Chrome is based on, before Google slaps its brand on it. Chromium is an open source software project.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Google wants Chrome on everybody's computer, so they can track everybody, and monopolize all available ad revenues.

In fact, it's now a "drive-by download", by virtue of Google seeding it along with typical free software. Most notably, "Adobe Flash"!

Again you're welcome to it. But nobody's ever going to sell it to me. If FF went away, I'd go to IE long before I even considered Chrome.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

It's a legit way to see it. I just to me FF feels like taking a constipated crap upside down, and Chrome runs smoothly, so even if Google's intentions are to track me, all right, let 'em track me, it's a little thing to pay for the performance gain, and yet they really do not track me, because I'm on top of things.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

@captaincranky, Thank you. I just ran my SAS again & still got those sweet google cookies (ugh).

@Duckula22, in Firefox & SeaMonkey I have java turned off(disabled) & can still go to all my websites with no problem, NOT in Google Chrome.

I do take my online security dead serious because unlike some, I can't just go to the nearest computer store & buy another pc because I messed up or followed somebodies advice.

I followed a persons advice 7 years ago & I was no longer able to get online.

So until google cleans up their act,(probably never) I'll stick with Firefox & SeaMonkey. Thank you.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

All right, no need to get all worked up. I just realized that when you wrote Java above, you may have meant java script , they are different things. Anyway, I thought sites that require java script  turned on do so regardless of one's choice of browser. Fellow, learninmypc, do you know your way around a PC system very well? I ask because it seems you do not, and that's why you exercise extra caution, which is fine.

As an anecdotal bit, I allow myself to remove some protections, because I add some other good habits in that most people do not, for instance... I do regular backups, so a virus could mess up my partitions badly, and I'm still all right.

I run things sandboxed in different ways, sometimes I use sandboxie, sometimes VirtualBox. I choose the source of the stuff I download, for instace I'll DL from Majorgeeks, but I will give Softonic the finger. I'm not click happy, I read stuff first. People I used to fix their PCs for (don't anymore) would just franticly click OK to whatever was infront of them to get the freaking popup window out of their way, etc... etc...

Additionally I have my system partition imaged with a partition imaging software, I can restore my PC in 90 seconds after a small or big screw up on my part. See, it's all about the global approach, I optimize globally, so that I won't have o sacrifice comfort for a negligible gain in security. It's just my take. Respectfully.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

@Duckula22, This is not my first experience with Google Chrome in here. Yes, I agree it may be faster, but as far as tracking goes, it probably can't be stopped because I've tried probably everything as you can see here [link]

I'm not going to sit here & debate with anybody whether or not its a good browser because in my opinion it depends on each individual.

I've got friends that swear by it & because of that, I'm not going to waste my time on their pc's anymore.

When google quits tracking its users, I might reconsider, but till then, no thanks.

I don't want a google gps on me following me.Have a good day.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Check this one out, it's based on Chrome but these EU fellows seem to have removed all the things you don't like about Chrome.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I've used it in the past but got rid of it too. I'm happy with FF & SM, thank you.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

No problem, man! I was just trying to help. I saw somebody recommended the Comodo alternative on that thread you mentioned above, and that reminded me of Iron.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Somebody mentioned Palemoon on that thread of yours, I've known about it for some time, I just installed it and gave it a spin, I liked it, it feels way more responsive that Firefox 18, and it doesn't leak memory (apparently), so it stays in my PC as secondary browser.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Duckula22, I've tried many others browsers but have always returned to FF & SeaMonkey because they are super fast on my pc

& very good. SeaMonkey is my default browser.

Since google enjoys tracking people, I have no use for it. Thanks for the help. l8r. enuf said.

JC713 JC713 said:

Another useless upgrade in my opinion. I want a new fresh look, but the added speed is nice.

JC713 JC713 said:

I wish chrome refreshed their look to something like this:

[link]

PC EliTiST PC EliTiST said:

I too love Google Chrome but am tired of running my SAS scans & finding these

X many many more. I do not allow 3rd party cookies. Not to mention, disabling java I'm forced to go to settings > Show Advanced settings>Click content settings & paste the URLhttp://[url="http://www.kirotv.com/s/news/live/"
]www.kirotv.com/s/news/live/[/url] into the manage exceptions area of java script.

Yeah, pal... Turning off 3rd-Party Cookies ain't enough anymore. You need ad blocker with main, privacy and antisocial lists in order to effectively block all the nasty cookies. In Fx works perfectly, I don't know about Chrome. I don't trust as much this function on Chrome. In short, I'm not sure Google would give us easily the ability to block all these. But I haven't try, to be honest.

The fact is, when Mozilla came up, it pushed the progress while IE was in idle. Now, the same happened with Google. Chrome pushed the progress even more while Mozilla was a bit lax and sloppy lately. Thanks to Chrome we get even better Firefox, faster.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I solved the problem. I removed Google Chrome & WILL NOT re install it since they love to track their users.