Latest Windows 8.1 beta silently updates Windows Store apps

By on May 6, 2013, 1:45 PM

Users of Microsoft's latest Windows 8.1 beta (build 9385) have reported that Windows Store apps now silently update themselves without need for user intervention. If you value up-to-dateness but couldn't care less about developer release notes, then this upcoming change may be just for you. It's unknown if the feature can be toggled off and on or whether it will be enabled by default when Windows 8.1 RTM rolls around.

In its current form, Windows 8 simply notifies users of available updates. From there, users must then venture to the Windows Store app where they click an "Updates" link near the upper right-hand corner and manually install their app updates. An "Automatically download updates for my apps" feature does exist (and is enabled by default); however, it does not automatically install updated apps -- the option only downloads them.

Currently, between flavors of Windows 8, iOS and Android, Android is the only one which allows fully-automatic, no-questions-asked updates; however, the behavior must be enabled manually. In iOS, automatic app updates are possible, but only on jailbroken devices.

Formerly known as Windows Blue, Windows 8.1 is expected to bring a multitude of enhancements like the return of the Windows Start button, allowing users to disable the Metro Start Screen on login and some much-needed search improvements. Microsoft's well-rumored Windows Blue is purportedly an effort to further refine -- and possibly homogenize -- the user experience across its wide variety of latest-generation products and services.

JC713 JC713 said:

I love reading what is new for apps. If Apple introduces this feature, I am turning it off.

2 people like this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Indeed. I like reading changelogs. Honestly, I won't even update an app before I read the changelog. Sometimes apps change things I don't like and would rather stick with the older version.

JC713 JC713 said:

For me, it isnt that, but I can see what you mean. I like seeing what is new esthetically and under the hood. Plus I read reviews to see if the new version crashes, is glitchy, etc. I bet they will have an option to turn it off.

treeski treeski said:

I like the idea of installing apps automatically, but with an option to inform you that updates were installed with links to release notes.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Plus I read reviews to see if the new version crashes, is glitchy, etc.

Absolutely! This is another reason why I read logs before updating. I've updated into bugged / glitchy builds countless times when not reading beforehand.

JC713 JC713 said:

Hopefully it can alert you when the system is updating the apps like Windows currently does with OS updates.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Another issue is that store-sourced apps do not have alternative versions. If something screws up, there's no way to roll back!

(Yes, I know about rooting and titanium backup etc..)

JC713 JC713 said:

(Yes, I know about rooting and titanium backup etc..)

Yeah, I wish there was some sort of rollback like with drivers.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

This is nice, provided it doesn't auto update apps with permission changes, similar to Android.