Latest Windows 8.1 beta silently updates Windows Store apps

Rick

Users of Microsoft's latest Windows 8.1 beta (build 9385) have reported that Windows Store apps now silently update themselves without need for user intervention. If you value up-to-dateness but couldn't care less about developer release notes, then this upcoming change...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/52481-latest-windows-81-beta-silently-updates-windows-store-apps.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Jad Chaar

I love reading what is new for apps. If Apple introduces this feature, I am turning it off.

MrBlkfx1

Indeed. I like reading changelogs. Honestly, I won't even update an app before I read the changelog. Sometimes apps change things I don't like and would rather stick with the older version.

Reactions: m4a4 and Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar

Indeed. I like reading changelogs. Honestly, I won't even update an app before I read the changelog. Sometimes apps change things I don't like and would rather stick with the older version.
For me, it isnt that, but I can see what you mean. I like seeing what is new esthetically and under the hood. Plus I read reviews to see if the new version crashes, is glitchy, etc. I bet they will have an option to turn it off.

treeski

I like the idea of installing apps automatically, but with an option to inform you that updates were installed with links to release notes.

MrBlkfx1

Plus I read reviews to see if the new version crashes, is glitchy, etc.
Absolutely! This is another reason why I read logs before updating. I've updated into bugged / glitchy builds countless times when not reading beforehand.

Jad Chaar

Hopefully it can alert you when the system is updating the apps like Windows currently does with OS updates.

St1ckM4n

Another issue is that store-sourced apps do not have alternative versions. If something screws up, there's no way to roll back!

(Yes, I know about rooting and titanium backup etc..)

Jad Chaar

Another issue is that store-sourced apps do not have alternative versions. If something screws up, there's no way to roll back!

(Yes, I know about rooting and titanium backup etc..)
Yeah, I wish there was some sort of rollback like with drivers.

TS-56336

This is nice, provided it doesn't auto update apps with permission changes, similar to Android.