0x00000024 error, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I just plugged in an external hard drive into my PC, the PC froze so I restarted it. When it came on, I was given some options, whether to use last known settings, attempt to continue to windows etc. All lead me to a blue screen.

It reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

It this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmantation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configurayion, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000024 (0x00190203, 0x86FD1670, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000

I have literally no idea what any of this means, so if you could help me out in the simplest way possible I would be very grateful

Thanks

Dan

Test your HDD with one of the utilities here.

Download Memtest86, burn it to a CD as an image file, boot of it and let it run for a minimum of 7 passes. If any errors are found with Memtest86, you have corrupt RAM and you'll need to replace it. If you have more than one module of RAM installed you might want to test each individually to isolate the defective module.

For error 024: The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.

The STOP 0x24 error relates to the NTFS file system that's on your hard disk.
I use the Event Viewer to further define the Error that occurs at the same time of this message:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Please follow copy information. There are three pieces of information needed from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back