1055T or i5 760, for multifunction server?

R3DP3NGUIN

Hey guys,

well I currently have two motherboards ASUS M4A79T deluxe, ASUS P7P55D, Which would be best for a web server running Ubuntu 10.10, Apache and Samba for file server. "Home Use"

I'm thinking the 1055T X6 for better future, but I'm thinking i5 for stability. I plan to have 16GB ram since price for ram is cheap.

I also have 5 HDD's including one VelociRaptor 150GB

what do ya think???

In terms of stability, neither the 1055T or i5 are any different, they're both stable CPUs, and a system running either is not going to offer any advantages in regards to that.

I would choose the 6 core Phenom (because of the two or more additional cores) over the i5 (assuming its a 2/4 thread model) though, but both will be more than fine for a home-server type setup. I would also purchase a good aftermarket cooler for a Phenom setup as well, to help keep it cool if its running 24/7.

16GB should also be absolutely plenty of RAM as well.

Equally important (and not commented about in your post) is ensuring your server has gigabit network connectivity though, especially if you plan to be using it as a data/backup server on your home network. If it was me I'd drop down to 8GB of RAM and then purchase a good gigabit switch and router, and cat 5e/6 network cabling (and gigabit NICs if needed) to ensure your network has the best bandwidth and speed possible. Being stuck on 10/100 speeds across your network would in my opinion waste the performance of your server.

In terms of stability, neither the 1055T or i5 are any different, they're both stable CPUs, and a system running either is not going to offer any advantages in regards to that.

I would choose the 6 core Phenom (because of the two or more additional cores) over the i5 (assuming its a 2/4 thread model) though, but both will be more than fine for a home-server type setup. I would also purchase a good aftermarket cooler for a Phenom setup as well, to help keep it cool if its running 24/7.

16GB should also be absolutely plenty of RAM as well.

Equally important (and not commented about in your post) is ensuring your server has gigabit network connectivity though, especially if you plan to be using it as a data/backup server on your home network. If it was me I'd drop down to 8GB of RAM and then purchase a good gigabit switch and router, and cat 5e/6 network cabling (and gigabit NICs if needed) to ensure your network has the best bandwidth and speed possible. Being stuck on 10/100 speeds across your network would in my opinion waste the performance of your server.

Thanks heaps for the advice, I have indeed chosen to go with the 1055T and will also be looking for cooling since it will be running 24/7, sorry i didn't clarify my current setup, i do currently have a gigabit switch and network adapters, but i am thinking maybe for future getting a cisco home firewall router for added security.

Back