120-128GB SSD for OS and games -- sound good?

combatantdrip

Hi, I am thinking of buying a SSD 120-128 gb...
to get the most out of it I will be keeping my OS(around 20gb) and 4-5 games (total around 80 gb),that keeps around 20 gb free on it,and I will be keeping the rest of the data in my HDD
Am I correct or should I modify it?

That sounds about right. :)
If nothing else you could always get a second SSD later to share App/game installs.

I personally install all my games to HDD.

I second Clifford's suggestion of putting all games on secondary HDD. You will be surprised how quickly the SSD will fill up just from OS and programs. You won't see a difference in performance if they are running off the HDD. Maybe slightly slower load times but nothing too significant.

128GB sounds about right for you. Just remember there's a lot of stuff which will take up space on your SSD e.g. temp files, appdata folders, iTunes, etc. so you probably won't have 80GB available for games.

It's a good idea to have your favourite games on the SSD, there is a noticeable difference in loading times compared to a HDD which does add up if you play the game often.

SSD is for OS and productivity software and anything else that is accessed frequently.

So, as above, most games would go on the HDD. The loading times for most games won't change and the load intervals are pretty distant these days. However, for something like Leage of Legends an SSD install path is an OK option - not too big of a game and you load the game on average once every 30 mins.

Also, make sure to always have at least 10% free space on an SSD. This is used for load levelling etc.

Back