1st PC build, need some help

Xclusiveitalian

Here is the PC I'm going to build. For now I'm just going to use my current 750ti as my gpu till the 1070 price drops to its base MSRP. I have a couple concerns I was hoping you guys could help me with. This is the first time I'll be building one and I know I heard its easy but I want to make this experience fun and easy. My fear is I'm going to get everything start building and not have a wire I need, or get tripped up on something. Here are a couple of concerns I have;

1. Is the PSU good enough for the i7 + 1070 with no problems
  2. Is the Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler going to be enough for the i7
  3. For the time I use my 750ti (just temp.) will it cause a bottleneck?
  4. Will I need any extra wires I have not foreseen?
  5. My current PC has Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7, Can I just activate it on my new PC and wipe my old one? I imagine yes, but I don't trust Microsoft.
  6. Thoughts on the mobo?
  7. This is my desk http://I.imgur.com/DGgHmUy.png If you Know a better computer case I can fit into this comfortably that would be awesome. The one I currently have does, but never know, open for advice. Kinda want one with a window cause I'v never had one even though it's going in that slot in my desk.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DZ6nLD

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DZ6nLD
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DZ6nLD/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $770.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-24 16:54 EDT-0400

1. The capacity is a bit high so you won't get it's optimum efficiency unless you upgrade to an SLI setup in future but there won't be any problems.

2. Assuming you're not interested in extreme overclocking then it's more than enough. You could save money by going for a mid range air cooler, but I guess you're looking at the extra for the H60 for the easier installation?

3. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. It's going to limit performance in most games compared with a GTX 1070 but you clearly already knew that or you wouldn't be contemplating an upgrade.

4. I'd expect a high end motherboard like that to come with sufficient cables.

5. The Windows 10 upgrade doesn't matter. The key point is whether your current Windows licence is a boxed retail licence or a discounted OEM licence. The former can be transferred (with the upgrade), the latter is locked to the PC it was originally installed on.

6. What features are you likely to use?

7. 49x49x24 is plenty for any case with a side mounted motherboard except the largest full towers and it's slightly too small to have a horizontally mounted ATX or Micro ATX motherboard (they're 24.4cm wide).

As for usefully windowed cases inside a solid desk, Thermaltake's Core P3/Core P5 spring to mind but unless they've made a new version they're not terribly practical as the sides are open, meaning dust gets in and noise gets out.

As for the rest of the build the lack of an SSD sticks out like a sort thumb. Have you already got that?

1st off, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it!

1. Maybe ill go down to a 600W PSU, I only went higher cause I wasn't sure if it was enough for the 1070 and I7, also it was cheaper (at that time) to get the higher amount.

2. Easy Installation had me. Also I wanted to make sure it stays cool. That's why I was also considering using some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

3. I heard using a powerful CPU with a weak GPU can cause a bottleneck which would hurt performance.

4. Good to know!

5. I have a Windows 7 CD I bought and then upgraded it to windows 10 on my current PC.

6. Features on the mobo? idk. I mainly will be using my PC for Photoshop and Gaming.

7. Good to Know!

No plans for an SSD just yet. It helps keep the price range low at the moment, maybe in the future.

No plans for an SSD just yet. It helps keep the price range low at the moment, maybe in the future.

Your list has several high end luxury items, if budget is a concern then I would definitely focus on the things that give noticeable improvements first like an SSD instead of the marginal benefits/bragging rights items.

1. If you look at any review of a GTX 1070 and you'll see system power consumption runs at around 250-300W. While you want to add some margin for peak power, other devices and future additions, 600-700W is a huge amount and only needed if you're contemplating an SLI setup.

6. The motherboard won't affect the performance directly, so the choice between them is mostly down to which has the ports, connections, hardware support and so on that you're most likely to use.

@EndlessWaves basically pointed out all of the issues I currently see with the build, and I think you should reconsider his suggestion of an SSD. You'd be missing out on such a solid build if you didn't consider adding one. In terms of budget, I'd say that you could easily drop things like the artic silver thermal paste, extra case fan and probably PSU size to afford a cheap SSD to use for a OS drive. You could probably re-use your current optical drive instead of buying a new one as well. Of course, it's all up to you at the end of the day. When you decide to pick up the 1070, your build will be a pretty solid performer.

I actually have no plan for Sli, I'm a one card kind of guy. The reason I was choosing a 600W PSU was because I built a similar system on Ibuypower and it said the psu wasnt enough. probably just a scam to get you to pay more.

Wouldn't dropping things like the thermal paste and case fan hurt my build? Also can you guys recommend a SSD?

Wouldn't dropping things like the thermal paste and case fan hurt my build? Also can you guys recommend a SSD?

A lot of components are sold on benchmarks rather than real world benefit.

Take the 6700k for example. What's the difference between that and the 6600k in photoshop? 10% maybe. In real world terms that means that applying a filter takes 4.5 seconds instead of 5 seconds.

And you're only getting one or another rather than comparing them side by side. That sort of difference is of dubious real world benefit.

Ditto a 5°C difference in temperature. Theoretically keeping a chip cool will extend it's lifetime, but outside of extreme overclocking it's very rare for a CPU to fail before it's replaced for being too slow.

Desktop building these days is at least as much a hobby as it is something sensible and just like any hobby many of the products for it exist because they're interesting (ZOMG Watercooling!), rather than because they're an economically sound alternative.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's how hobby markets work. Just don't think you're buying a 6700k, or arctic silver, or digital power supply or any of the other fancy bits because it's going to make your daily computer use noticeably better than not having them.

It varies depending on component, but from a sensible point of view I'd think twice about anything that can't demonstrate a 50% advantage in at least one real world situation.

Is an SSD that much better than a standard drive?

*edit*

Can anyone recommend any hardware that adds USB slots? I saw they have ones that plug into the mobo PCI

Last edited:
Tweaked a little bit, added much better motherboard plus SSD!
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2XhkT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2XhkT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $917.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 17:07 EDT-0400

Tweaked a little bit, added much better motherboard plus SSD!
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2XhkT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2XhkT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $917.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 17:07 EDT-0400

Thats a good board and yea, for sure you will need SSD in there.

I actually have no plan for Sli, I'm a one card kind of guy. The reason I was choosing a 600W PSU was because I built a similar system on Ibuypower and it said the psu wasnt enough. probably just a scam to get you to pay more.

You probably don't need more than a 600w PS, but for that component I always overshoot the wattage. For your build I would probably use a 750w. My reasoning is simply system heat. That 600w PS will be working much harder than the larger one, and will build heat. Add that heat along with not having cpu paste and case fans will add up. Just my 2c, your build will work with the 600w as well, as long as it has the power connectors for your graphics card.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NXVjZ8

I lowered the PSU to save some money, otherwise I really like how this build is looking.
The PSU is IMO the most important part of your build! and its always better to have a little headroom in its power output.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y7N4M8
A couple of changes to your original build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hrbz6X
Again but with an SSD drive.

Finally, take a look at this build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RmWTYr

Lots of changes made to save cash, but still a powerful RIG,
and you get a GTX 1070 to complete the build.

Hope some of my ideas help.
Good Luck with the build (y)

Last edited:
Back