2.1 speaker set problems

Gewoonissos

Hello all,

I've just bought a new 2.1 set for my pc, the Sweex purephonic sp210 ( I know its cheap but im just a poor student). I have connected everything and the sound is working. Though it seems like the subwoofer is producing all the sound. Like when I play a song I only hear the voices trough the subwoofer and not trough the speakers. This results in barely hearing the vocals of a song. The speakers only make sound during random parts of the song.

Can anyone help me?

Regards

Most likely to be the connectors that feed signal to the left and right speakers.
All depends on how the sound connections are made, USB into the SubW, then on to the left and right? Or another way? Make sure the plugs are in properly, especially the blue and green sockets at the back. Also are you using a separate sound card rather than on-board sound? What type of plugs does the Sweex set-up use?

After checking that the plugs are in the right spaces, as above, make sure that the settings for your audio software are set to 2.1. If they're set to 5.1 or 7.1 you'll get issues such as no vocals, etc.

Because I'm not sure I will answer your questions correctly I copied this list:

Specifications
Technical details
Plug and Play
Cable length 1.2 m
Cord length 1.4 m
System requirements
Mac compatibility
Compatibility Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7 or Apple® Mac® OSX™
USB required
Audio
Audio amplifier
RMS rated power 9 W
Audio channels 2.1
Frequency response 20 - 20,000 Hz
Music power 60 W
Weight & dimensions
Dimensions W x D x H 65 x 70 x 176 mm
Subwoofer dimensions (WxHxD) 170 x 171 x 192 mm
Energy management
Power requirements 230 V AC, 50 Hz
Power consumption (standby) 1.1 W
Colour
Colour of product Black / silver
Loudspeakers
Satellites RMS power 2 W
Satellite speaker driver size 2 "
Number of satellites 2
Illumination/Alarms
Power LED
Packaging content
Quick installation guide
Subwoofer
Subwoofer RMS power 5 W
Subwoofer driver size 3 "
Subwoofer

from this website: sweex.com/en/assortiment/sound-vision/speaker-sets/SP210

There is no USB connection in the whole set.

it looks like it just has one jack. So take the jack that plugs into the back of the subwoofer into either the green hole on your onboard sound, or the appropriate hole in your dedicated sound card.

I did that, i guess otherwise i wouldn't have any sound. I dont have a soundcard, just the onboard one on my motherboard.

I have a Logitech x210 2.1 sound system, but it is plugged into the headphone jack of my TV, very big improvement too. It's input plug is a 3.5mm jack, 3 section, stereo. So on a pc, that will have to go into the green socket at the back of PC, or headphone socket at the front, both have stereo signals on them. (I just tried this with some headphones, to be certain.) As mentioned above, it's worth checking the sound 'properties' to find out if the settings are correct. Unless your information shows otherwise, the settings are for a standard 2 channel stereo set-up in windows. There are no special outputs for the bass sound from the pc, it is produced by low-pass filters in the amplifier, from the 2 channel sound signals.

Nope not really. Adjusting the balance makes me hear the vocals again but then the bass is really weak. Driving me crazy :p

also, this pretty much covers my problem: forums.cnet.com/7723-7590_102-359771.html

If you plug headphones in to the same socket on pc (green one), does the sound seem balanced, left/right, and full range? The effect you say about, is what happens when a stereo jack is part way out of the socket, or it is really a mono socket. That's why the headphone test is useful. In Windows, you need to choose a standard stereo setup, not 5.1 or anything else. Can you plug the 2.1 input plug into a headphone socket at the front of the pc? Or another laptop? or an MP3 player? See if the sound is good with any of those. (Now I have just repeated what gwailo247 has said!!)

I have my set connected to my laptop right now. The same problem occurs. When I play a song, i only hear the chorus via the speakers. The rest of the voices go through the subwoofer, which means i can barely hear them.

Also via headphones the sound from my PC sounds perfectly balanced. As with my last 2.1 set, which broke down :/

Your headphones give good sound so it confirms the problem is in the 2.1 surround setup. Is it possible that Sweex give a driver disk with this set? Something that would channel the soundtrack to the right speakers. You have set the sound options (in Windows) to be default, normal stereo, not surround sound. Are there any controls on the Subwoofer/amplifier speaker? Maybe balance or treble/bass? Do you have a wired remote with a volume control (as I do on my logitech 210) ? If yes check the controls or settings for problems.
Have a look at the plugs that connect into the back of the SubW, unplug and plug in again. I have one 3.5mm jack that feeds the stereo speakers, and one for a wired volume control. Make sure these plugs are fully in.

Yes the problem is in the set I guess. There is no CD with drivers and on the sweex website there is no software available. There is a bass control on the subwoofer which is currently set to about 50%. No wired control. I have checked all the plugs and they are plugged in 100%.

Back