2GB vs 4GB RAM for Windows 7 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi all. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 memory.

I have Avast 5 and a few other programs running in the background all the time and i do use this PC for gaming

Will upgrading the amount of ram to 4GB give me a noticeable performance increase?

Thnaks.

Some games (like Crysis) would be benefitted if you add another 2 GB. SInce you're running a 64 Bit OS I would definitely suggest that you up your RAM.

ok, but now i have another question. Its completely unrelated but i couldnt really be bothered starting another post.

Does the EVGA x58 x3 SLI Classified motherboard support both SLI and Crossfire? Or just SLI? I know the Intel X58 chipset supports both, but i cant see ANYTHING about crossfire for this board on the evga website. So im a little confused. So is it also a crossfire board?

i know, thats what i meant. The Intel x58 chipset (which the board uses) supports both SLI and Crossfire. But it doesnt say anything about crossfire in the manual or on the website. I was hoping someone that uses this board could tell me if the motherboard does indeed support crossfire.

the x58 chipset supports crossfire, I think its just that evga is a Nvidia partner, so you get no willing advertising or listing of that fact.

Gee, the minimum recommended RAM for Win 7 32bit is 1GB. Gee, the minimum recommended RAM for Win 7 64Bit is >>>>TWO Gigabytes. Four is twice as many-er than 2. Does y'all think that would be good...?

So, let's do the math, if everybody puts 2 GB in Win 7 32 bit, then how many should they put in Win 7 64 bit. Quick, I can't stand the suspense, and my head is starting to pound from over-thinking this.

Gee, the minimum recommended RAM for Win 7 32bit is 1GB. Gee, the minimum recommended RAM for Win 7 64Bit is >>>>TWO Gigabytes. Four is twice as many-er than 2. Does y'all think that would be good...?

So, let's do the math, if everybody puts 2 GB in Win 7 32 bit, then how many should they put in Win 7 64 bit. Quick, I can't stand the suspense, and my head is starting to pound from over-thinking this.

Your post looks alot like something someone would write when they are trying to be a smart a**. Correct me if im wrong.. (Not having a go at you, just wondering)

If you intend to take full advantage of Win 7 Pro 64 bit, then 4GB of memory would be the entry point for doing so. A 2GB Minimum is listed for using "XP Mode". IMO, double the minimum requirement is always a good starting point, at least for RAM. (Not so much for power supplies).

I wouldn't recommend building a 64 bit machine from scratch without 4GB of RAM.

If your computer is using the HDD during activities, or "times out", then more RAM would improve performance, if it isn't, then the answer is no.

But this is something you should be able to check with task manager. Is the machine "paging" a lot? How much RAM is being used? If it's not paging, and there's available RAM "available", then you wouldn't even notice the extra memory.

Then there's always bragging rights. 4GB is nice to have just so you can tell your friends that you have 4GBs of RAM. No really, that's not beneath me, or anybody else at this forum either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back