2nd PCI-e slot is only 8x

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

Been out of the loop for quite some time, nice to see this amazing forum is strong and running!

I have the Dell XPS 630i, and it has a 650i SLI chipset/motherboard. However, it looks like it has been modified by Dell. This is from the user forum:

- PCI Express x16 (SLOT1 and SLOT4) = connector size 164 pins, connector data width maximum 8 PCI Express lanes
- PCI Express x8 (SLOT3) = connector size 98 pins, connector data width maximum 1 PCI Express lane
- PCI Express x1 (SLOT3) = connector size 36 pins, connector data width maximum 1 PCI Express lane

Am I understanding this right? I have 1-PCI-16X, and the other PCI-E is 8x?

Assuming that is right, is it even worth going for SLI? I have one 8800GT 512gb at the moment and am looking at upgrade options. I am running a 22" wide screen and like to run at max resolution on high game settings. Mostly WoW, and with the current config I drop to less than 20fps when there is a lot going on.

Considering my motherboard limitations, what is the best upgrade option in the $200 range?

The performance increase that you will see from SLI is debatable - two cards beats one, but it's a matter of whether or not the cost is justified over simply upgrading to a more modern single card.

Regardless of your decision, the secondary PCI-E x16 slot that's forced to x8 shouldn't cause much of an issue with performance as your video card will not saturate the bandwidth.

*Edit*

By the way, I meant to mention that it's very common for motherboards with dual PCI-E x16 slots to have one limited to x8, so don't feel like you were shafted or something :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back