32bits 64bits windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi im really confused whats the difference i have windows vista ultimate now and its 32bits how do i make it to 64 bits???
thanks alot
i meant 64 bits

It will all depend on the CPU you are using. I'm not sure about vista, but with xp you can use the 32 bit version only on a 32 bit CPU whereas you can use either the 32 bit or 64 bit version with a 64 bit CPU.

I currently use xp 32 bit with my 64 bit CPU as it works perfectly well. I don't use the xp 64 bit version as there is no driver support for most of my hardware.

The above holds true for AMD processors but I'm not sure if it does for intel's.

oh k so i got an amd 64x2 3800+ 2 ghz so that means i should be able to run windows vista 64bits but why wont it do it on vista its only doing 32 bits

Please re-read my previous post. I am no expert on vista!!

Vista 32 bit and vista 64 bit (if there are different ones) will probably both work fine on your system. The problem I had with xp 64 bit was the lack of drivers, it ran much faster than xp 32 bit but a majority of my hardware was not supported by it.

My advise is to sort out a list of your hardware then check for the availability of drivers.

As an example, there is no driver support for my Internet connection for either xp 64 bit or vista so both are useless to me.

ok, so you've met the requirements for the Vista 64 bit edition. The next step is contacting microsoft (either by phone, or using the anytime upgrade - if its there) and asking them to send you the 64bit version of the vista edition you're running, for a small shipping and handling fee.

It is true that the version of windows you get from the shop is only 32bit. I think Ultimate is the only vista edition that includes both versions on the one disc. The other vista editions for 64bit are usualy by-request only..

edit: oh yeh, don't forget to check drivers.

because i have windows vista ultimate i bought i checked all the drivers there alright i just want to install it where does it ask when one do i want to put in

Whether it's 32 or 64 should be labeled on the disc.

If it's not, you can try running setup.exe from a 32-bit Windows installation. If it launches, it's 32. If not, it's 64.

N3051M is correct in that Ultimate is the only one that contains both versions, but that's only in retail. OEM contains only the one you ordered, you need to get the other one from Microsoft for a fee (no idea why they do that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back