$35 Raspberry Pi 2 launches with faster CPU, Windows 10 support

Scorpus

Staff member

raspberry cpu windows arm raspberry pi windows 10 raspberry pi 2 dev board

A second generation version of the Raspberry Pi, with considerably more powerful hardware, will go on sale today for the same attractive price of just $35. Better still, the revamped version of the board will support a special version of Windows 10.

The CPU in the Raspberry Pi 2 is said to be six times more powerful than the previous generation, jumping up from a 700 MHz single-core ARMv6 processor to a quad-core 900 MHz ARMv7. Not only is the new CPU more powerful, but it also supports a much wider range of software thanks to the newer ARMv7 architecture.

The Raspberry Pi 2 also includes more RAM than the previous-gen Model B+, rising to 1 GB. Other hardware, including the 250 MHz Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU, remains the same.

As for I/O ports you'll still be getting four USB ports, an Ethernet 10/100 Mbps port, HDMI, 3.5mm audio/composite video, a microSD card slot, and 40 GPIO pins. The form factor is identical to the Model B+ from July 2014.

While the Debian-based Raspbian operating system will be updated to support the Raspberry Pi 2, the real star of the show is Windows 10, which will be supported on this model of the Raspberry Pi for the first time. Microsoft will be making the IoT version of Windows 10 free for Raspberry Pi 2 owners through the Windows Developer Program for IoT.

Microsoft hasn't shared too many details on the IoT version of Windows 10, although it's expected that it will be a stripped down version of the standard OS designed to run on weaker, IoT-class hardware. When Microsoft shares more details in the coming months, hopefully universal app support is part of the package.

Permalink to story.

Great! I love to see more power in those tiny devices, Pi being my personal fav, it seems very comfortable to use and has a myriad of various applications. With 900x4 CPU and 1GB RAM (and the same price, woo hoo!) it seems very solid, more than the B+ revision. I'd love to get my hands on it when it comes out in Europe. I just hope the overall design is similar to B+, it would be sweet to re-use my B+ case.

Excellent, so now it should be able to handle a basic Node JS server. The previous ones were just too weak.

Edited: I take my previous statement back, because without 1gbit ethernet it is still just a calculator, can't host nothing usable on 100mbit network. That's pathetic.

Last edited:
Awesome, was excited by the news in another site, but now I also read W10 support now I'm loving it.

All it lacks is a Sata port and gigabit ethernet but... it's still awesome!

1GB RAM for Windows. HA HA HA HAaaa.
But 640 KB enough for everything, what will users do with more than 999 MB?

1GB RAM for Windows. HA HA HA HAaaa.
But 640 KB enough for everything, what will users do with more than 999 MB?
I'm not really sure if I get what this guest is inferring.
1gb of volatile memory, not for storage, is adequate. pi2 has a microsd slot for expanding storage.

Back