5 Biggest Rivalries in Computing History

No Nvidia vs AMD/ATI?
And MS vs Sony could get in the list because of PS vs Xbox

Didn't you know Apple is the single biggest pain in the *** ever? They sue everyone for everything, hence why they're 3 out of 5 of the biggest rivalries... You'd also think Sony vs Nintendo vs Xbox would be a good one. Nvidia vs AMD would spark too much trolling in the comments section so it makes sense to not include it, besides we all know who's winning that rivalry and who has the future proof hardware. ( :

Competition continues to drive innovation and for all our sake, I hope it never ends. NASA now depends on competitive contractors to resupply the space station and the most serious talk of heading to MARS is by contractors, not the government. While some of the greatest innovations came from the government, it was the private companies that turned it into usable, salable products. Competition isn't usually pretty, but it gets the job done and for a price the consumer will pay. If we could force more competition and less "partnership" on our drug companies & health providers, we would all benefit from it and until the Government gets off it's duff and uses this approach we will all loose. There are many more such examples and just as many opportunities for some bright young start up to step in and take control of the industry.

Whether it's Intel vs. AMD or AMD vs. Nvidia, I don't really consider either to be a true "rivalry" because you have a clear dominating power. INTEL and NVIDIA are laughing at AMD/ATI. They have no choice but to go low while Intel and NVIDIA go high. The Intel + Nvidia computer solutions are the absolute best on the market and command a higher price.

I'm using a Core i7 with 32GB of RAM and a Titan X running three 20" monitors and a 4K TV (silently) as I write this. It's the best computer system I've ever owned or imagined.

As for "console wars"...

PS and Xbox are a weak rivalry.

The 3rd party developers have given up on "exclusives" and they would rather produce for the PC, PS and XBOX so they can maximize their profits.

When I was a kid in the 80's, we had TRUE console wars.

Nintendo vs. Sega was as nasty a campaign as Trump vs. Clinton - with NEC waiting in the background to try and make a case for a 3rd party - always remaining on the fringe.

The exclusives for Nintendo and Sega "made" the consoles. Unfortunately for Sega, Nintendo's games were more accessible. When I was a kid, we didn't have as many game stores as we do now. It was either Toys R Us or KB toys for the average consumer. Now you have grocery stores and corporate game stores everywhere...all being dominated by online downloads which make it so you needn't leave your parent's basement to purchase a new game.

One of the big issues was finding new games. I wasn't easily able to get a new copy of new releases because many sellers didn't have them. Had to go to the import shops in many cases until the days of CD-based games made games easier to mass-produce and easier to purchase.

Ultimately, Nintendo and Sega fell behind because of Sony's embrace of CD-based games. Sony beat Sega because Sega let 3rd party development falter by producing too many systems that were difficult to develop for (a mistake Sony made in PS3 and corrected in PS4).

Microsoft did the smart thing: build a console using off-the-shelf PC equipment.

Ultimately that's the way to go - making the consoles more like PC.

Unfortunately it feels like the only real difference is the controller, but we all know exclusives make all the difference.

Many other computer battles are history, or still continuing.
HISTORY:
Microsoft vs Digital Research (CP/M). Atari vs Amiga. IBM vs Apple. Unix vs Linux. Yahoo vs Google. Microsoft Bing vs Google.

CONTINUING:
Siri vs Google.
Debian Linux vs Redhat Linux.
Android vs Android-derivatives.
Chrome web browsers vs Chromium derivatives.
East-Asian factories vs East-Asian re-packagers (Apple, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc).

Added to my previous comment: another important continuing battle is APPLE vs Civilization.

Apple stole its iPhone "innovation" from the Sony smartphone: shape, camera placement, etc, using East Asian manufacturers, re-packaged under its own USA name. As Donald Trump says, they are the major exporter of jobs from the USA, and the main reason for the non-payment of morally deserved taxes to nations selling Apple products. Most other companies were forced to follow Apple's tax-robbing "innovation".

Apple further forces an iTax on its users by avoiding ISO hardware standards. They force the iSheep to avoid USB a, b & c standards, forcing Apple iSheep into expensive, rare options, as long as they can. Rather than using common terms like HD or "Full HD", they create their own meaningless word "Retina Display". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector

Lucky for Apple, most technology writers are unaware of how Apple re-packages and ignores the original creators of Apple's "innovations". This is reinforced by the international biased USA patent system which enforces "USA" patents into USA-ownership, ignoring the creators of the "innovation".

The iSheep will be deprived of wireless recharging, unless the USA para-military (law-enforcers) decide again to wage another battle in the war against the EU, Samsung, etc.

Apple is the only one that keeps creating enemies, and it has always been good at that.

Added to my previous comment: another important continuing battle is APPLE vs Civilization.

Apple stole its iPhone "innovation" from the Sony smartphone: shape, camera placement, etc, using East Asian manufacturers, re-packaged under its own USA name. As Donald Trump says, they are the major exporter of jobs from the USA, and the main reason for the non-payment of morally deserved taxes to nations selling Apple products. Most other companies were forced to follow Apple's tax-robbing "innovation".

Apple further forces an iTax on its users by avoiding ISO hardware standards. They force the iSheep to avoid USB a, b & c standards, forcing Apple iSheep into expensive, rare options, as long as they can. Rather than using common terms like HD or "Full HD", they create their own meaningless word "Retina Display". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector

Lucky for Apple, most technology writers are unaware of how Apple re-packages and ignores the original creators of Apple's "innovations". This is reinforced by the international biased USA patent system which enforces "USA" patents into USA-ownership, ignoring the creators of the "innovation".

The iSheep will be deprived of wireless recharging, unless the USA para-military (law-enforcers) decide again to wage another battle in the war against the EU, Samsung, etc.

ROFLOL. Apple is a bully kid. If it is a 5 years boy in the kindergarten, it will be expelled on its 2nd day at school. Alas, it live in an adult capitalist world where... bully and arrogant behaviors are normal... and rather expected. As long stakeholders happy, the bull keeps going, robbing isheeps out of their hard earned money, robbing suppliers/factories out of their sweatshops (which hired kid labor and/or school interns to push cost down), robbing america people out of jobs, robbing all america/asia/europe/africa out of government taxes...

And who cares? Investors are happy with the ever bubbling valuation.

Normal company will have a hailstorm during yearly stockholder's meeting for keeping too many cash on hand, because cash on hand will never return anything to stockholders. But not Apple, $230B cash on hand, with nowhere to go except keep piling up (from all the robberies mentioned above), and everybody still happy.

Something wrong with this economic system. If nobody doing anything about it, eventually it will collapse and bring the whole universe on its knees.

The ones I recall best are the ZX Spectrum Vs Commodore 64 and the Atari ST Vs the Commodore Amiga.
Amstrad v Spectrum v Commodore 64 - three way 8 bit battle royal...... (most games came out on all three platforms but due to the hardware differences in each ended up being wildly different). The Amstrad and Spectrum versions tended to be similar (due to the Z80 at the heart of each) but the commodore version (great sprite handling and SID chip) was often the most colourful and manic version.

In my book it's between Jon and me to see who has the better rig(s). Nothing else matters

Whether it's Intel vs. AMD or AMD vs. Nvidia, I don't really consider either to be a true "rivalry" because you have a clear dominating power. INTEL and NVIDIA are laughing at AMD/ATI.
That’s typical fandom at it’s most eloquent. For sure. Benchmarking games and monitor expansions is one thing. There are many things intel and Nvidia fall flat on too! That’s perspective and use, more than quality.

Most of the rest of the post I’m with you though.
Sega killed them selves by being 10-15 years too early with the Saturn. The system’s multi core technology was just too early. If lazy programmers had been able to learn and innovative the Saturn would still be getting games today.
Microsoft and Nintendo would not be on the game system shelves and the rivals would be Sony and NEC, not Nintendo vs Microsoft vs Sony.

Many other computer battles are history,... Unix vs Linux.
NEVER were competitors. Several proprietary brands of Unix were always at each others throats (HP, Sparc, BSD), but Linux was never a commercial threat - - until Unix just vaporized. Today, Linux is the dominate web server OS, regardless of the hardware platform.

Back