500 gb hard drive install help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a dell dimesion 8100 and the hard drive crashed on and it was a 40 gb so i purchased a western digital 500gb hard drive installed it going through the setup to install windows vista and it went to re boot and now it says drive fails to boot . am i missing something or is it to big for my computer ?can someone please help me?

Without the service tag I can't be sure but it looks like the 8100 only supports upto 60GB hard drive (from a quick search) however I would purchase an IDE controller card then the size shouldn't matter because you have the IDE controller card which will replace the 'brains' on your pc and update them so they can see big drives (you will need a spare PCI slot)

See what others think but this would be the way I go.

It may also be worth checking if you have the lattest BIOS as a newer version may support bigger drives.

Did you change the jumper setting on the back of the new drive to match the one you removed. Dell seems to use Cable Select (CS) a lot.

Without the service tag I can't be sure but it looks like the 8100 only supports upto 60GB hard drive (from a quick search) however I would purchase an IDE controller card then the size shouldn't matter because you have the IDE controller card which will replace the 'brains' on your pc and update them so they can see big drives (you will need a spare PCI slot)

See what others think but this would be the way I go.

It may also be worth checking if you have the lattest BIOS as a newer version may support bigger drives.

Ok im fairly new to this so which ide do i need and how do i check for a newer version of bios i have the sevice tag number too i typed it in on the dell web site and it just told me i was out of warranty .....

Check what version BIOS you have the version should be displayed during boot up. If it isn't then simply go into the BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key when the Dell logo appears at boot up. The currently installed BIOS version will be displayed on the top of the BIOS Setup page.

You need A07 or above for Large capacity drives I think

The newest version for the 8100 is here http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=51284
but check the importnat info first to make sure it is ok if not get the A09 version here http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=1&fileid=38682

try that first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back