5870 cooling problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Hi, i almost killed it, i cant believe it.

I was replacing a failed hard drive and didnt check the sata cable like i always do and of course it was wedged in the cards fan stopping it completly.

Only knew something was up when my monitor went black 3 times during windows installation, so i opend up the pc again to the smell of something cooking, touched the graphics card and actually got 3 blisters on 3 knuckels.

Anyway its still alive but idle temps are now 45-50c when they used to be 35-40c, and load temps are 80-90c when they used to be 65-70c

I THINK all i have done is cooked the thermal compund beyond use, would you agree? what should i use as a replacement?

Maybe try clean it a bit. I don't see how the temps would still be up after fan start working again.

Submit a help ticket. A friends XFX 5870 XXX Edition was having heat problems. After a help ticket they sent him a BIOS update that really helped with cooling problems. Until then go into catalyst control center and manually bump the fan speed up.

I don't see why you can't claim it just burned up of its own accord and get a new one through waranty...that would work, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back