60 percent of gamers wouldn't buy a console that blocks used games

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During a recent speech at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, GameStop CFO Rob Lloyd said that 60 percent of customers said they would not buy a new gaming console if it couldn’t play used titles. The admission comes as we continue to hear rumblings that at least one next generation console maker could be prepared to blocked previously played games.

The executive told those in attendance that consumers want the ability to play pre-owned games in addition to having portability and physicality in games. Not having these elements, he said, would be a substantial reason for potential buyers to avoid purchasing a new console.

What’s more, he noted that only about four percent of their used game sales are for titles that were released in the last 60 days. He likely highlighted that fact to show that their used games market typically deals with older, out-of-print games that are being given another chance at life.

GameStop didn’t elaborate on how they collected information for this survey and as Ars Technica points out, saying you aren’t going to buy a system for one reason or another is certainly different than actually sticking to your guns – especially when a game you really want is an exclusive on said console. Furthermore, one would be forgiven for thinking it a bit suspicious that GameStop, a company that has an obvious interest in used game sales, would issue such a statement.

What's your take on the topic? Would you buy a next genration console knowing it could only play brand new games?

Permalink to story.

Other than buying luminess for my psp to downgrade/jailbreak I can honestly say that I have always had problems buying used games. Mostly they are always scratched and freeze.

I stopped buying used games a long time ago.

I'd really love to see what their polling system was. If they were asking their customers, in the store to buy or sell used games, I would expect at least that 60% or higher. I mean, it's like a cashier at a donut store asking customers if they'd like to continue buying donuts.

If it was an actual, unbiased poll across the entire console gaming demographic, and not associated with Gamestop or their customer base in any way (other than coincidentally), then that would be a very interesting number for Sony and Microsoft to consider.

I know I wouldn't buy a console that I couldn't play used games on. I'm a pc gamer myself, and I download most of my games on steam/origin, but if I had a console I'd be hunting for used games (though probably not from gamestop... seriously, screw those guys).

This would put gamestop out of business and be bad for gamers because someone wants to make more money. It would mean a loss of thousands of jobs around the country. If anything, gamestop is standing up for what is morally right. This is bad for everyone aside from the developers.

I really can't tell what side you, the author is on when you say, "Furthermore, one would be forgiven for thinking it a bit suspicious that GameStop, a company that has an obvious interest in used game sales, would issue such a statement."

can you elaborate on what you meant by that?

The survey was conducted by gamestop with gamestop customers as the population. Gamestop gets most of its business from used games. Probably biased.

I wouldn't. I feel it's a toys out of the pram maneuver if it does happen.

I like my used games. I like the cheap risky bets I take on with buying used games to see if they're as good as the reviews say they are. Some you win, some you don't. Take away my system of how I choose to play my games and you can ransack someone else's wallet for your console.

I go into Gamestop to see if there is an old-school game that I don't have in my collection. I don't go there to buy a game that came out in the last 60 days. Why would I pay $54.99 for the used version of Far Cry 3 when I could buy the new copy for $59.99? Or the used copy of NHL 14 for $54.99 with an online pass for an extra $10.00 when I can buy the game new with an online pass for $59.99? Gamestop needs to rethink their prices if they want to sell a newish game.

LOL...what a joke. Gamer's are going to game. It's a huge part of every society's recreational habits now - it's part of modern day culture. They may whine and cry about a scenario that may or may not happen in some worthless poll, especially when they're used to it now. But you're trying to tell me that people are going to stop gaming because they can't buy/sell used games? Yeah right - let's see how that 60% does when the next Madden, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Grand Theft Auto or CoD or comes out.

Only if cheap enough...like $25-$30 ... and games for $10-$15....otherwise I put the money into my PC.

Its not all about selling game, its also about sharing a game with a friend. Console dont have demo disk for new games unlike the PC. I wish they stop applying Business Concepts for PC games to Console.

Console use to be "PURE GAMING ONLY"

With the math I am using, gamestop and other stores like them are 100% leeching profits from game developers. Not sure how many times a typical average games gets bought and sold, but guessing 3 times? So that's 1 sale for the developer, 2 sales for gamestop. Not really fair I don't think.

Same here. There is no way I will purchase this new console if it blocks second hand games, not a chance.

I am in control whether I decide to purchase a new console and if I have a problem in regards to not being able to purchase and use second hand games then tough luck to Microsoft & Sony if they decide this will be the case. It will be their loss not mine.

I really can't imagine that they will block this second hand game scenario as it's just nuts on their part but if they do then bye bye consoles, back to PC gaming it will be.

How much do you give to your car manufacturer when you sell it used?
I see the comparison but their entire industry is built selling that one one model... and profit is factored in for that. Think of games like software in the sense of a license per user.

I only buy NEW games, so I guess I dont care except for the fact that I cant giv my brother or friend to play on his console...money hungry animals! I hope they pirate the system to death!

I wouldn't bet on the"unofficial" poll results.
once the latest generation of consoles are out in the market and the supposed improvement in graphics rendering are affirmed, gamers will flock to buy the consoles and the accompanying gaming titles.

for the gaming industry, low fee subscription (10-20$/game/year or 100$/all games/year) is the way to go.
no more issues of governments interfering in the "used games business"

Well I currently have no plans to buy a console that blocks used games. It's thanks to the used game market that I've had some of the most fun on a console. When it comes to games that cost £40-£60, you're only going got buy the stuff you're completely sure you'll enjoy. You might not always be right and when you're not, the buyers remorse is pretty bad.
If a game's only gonna set you back something like £10, you're more willing to take a risk, and your initial expectations are going to be set so high. Chances are, you'll either like the game or not be too bitterly upset by your purchase.
I know it sounds silly, but I've enjoyed a much greater range of games than I would've without the second hand market.

With the math I am using, gamestop and other stores like them are 100% leeching profits from game developers. Not sure how many times a typical average games gets bought and sold, but guessing 3 times? So that's 1 sale for the developer, 2 sales for gamestop. Not really fair I don't think.

...nice idea there.:)
cd keys are supposed to be bound to the gaming cd/dvd title bought so anyone can buy/sell their games.
however, I have no idea how to manage (or sell) gaming titles bought through download.

You've got to be kidding right? You are mostly paying a car company for the manufacturing of the product itself with a profit margin that includes taking care of design and other overhead. Once the car is bought, the company has been paid off for their services. Why the hell would they need to be paid again? Software on the other hand is a completely opposite dynamic. You aren't paying $60 for the production of the disk, you are mostly paying $60 for the development of the software stored on the disk. But that game didn't take $60 to develop, thats just your share of the development cost. The only way to fund software is to share the development cost between all users. But when gamestop resells a game who is paying that share to the developers? No wonder they charge $60.

I still have issues with the video game industry price fixing the $60 price point but it can't be easy to deal with the issue of getting paid properly for your work in the software industry. What the game industry really needs to do is block the sale of used games and half the prices of games. Will they? Probably not. I'm not holding my breath. They are inherently greedy. But if they recover their costs quickly maybe they'll be more willing to reduce prices quicker.

LOL...what a joke. Gamer's are going to game. It's a huge part of every society's recreational habits now - it's part of modern day culture. They may whine and cry about a scenario that may or may not happen in some worthless poll, especially when they're used to it now. But you're trying to tell me that people are going to stop gaming because they can't buy/sell used games? Yeah right - let's see how that 60% does when the next Madden, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Grand Theft Auto or CoD or comes out.

I don't know about 60% , but the ones who can't afford to shell out $60 a pop won't have a choice but to change their habits. When I was a teen, my parents sure as hell didn't buy me video games. I had to buy them with my own money and I basically lived off used/borrowed games. Had I been forced to pay $60 a game I'm almost certain it would have pushed me away. Games are great, but I had a tank to fill.

[FONT=Arial]I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once, I'm on Gamestop's side...or rather, they're on my side. Maybe not for the same reasons, strange bedfellows, etc.[/FONT]

Back