64 bit 32 bit networking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbster63

Hi All
Just wondering if it is or isnt possible to network a windows 7 64 bit os with xp 32 bit os ,I have 5 computers at home which i have running through a belkin switch just for lan nights with friends each have seperate ip addresses ,192.168.1.1 , 192.168.2 and so on had to do this so farcry would lan.
Just put windows 7 64 bit on the main pc certainly a different os to navigate but cant hook up to the rest of the network :mad: ,If it is possible any advice or links to guide me through the process would be greatly appreciated as networking is one of my weak points :confused:
Thanks to All

It is perfectly alright to do that; if you have right drivers you can even used shared resources of an x86 OS (ie. xp 32bit) on your Win7 X64 machine Now having said that, MS has a stupid habit of making things difficult for users in this respect with each new OS release well since XP anyway.

Windows Vista/ Win 7 use Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component, which is not present in XP.

Although XP can be networked with Vista / Windows 7 without having it, I believe it can make this easier and more reliable if LLTD is installed on XP. What it does is allow the XP computers to be easily/readily discoverable on the network and "show up" in the network map (Network Folder) in Vista and Windows 7, provided that you are using the same Workgroup name and have File and Printer sharing enabled, i wouldn't be bothered to keep password protected sharing turned on as well (For trusted LAN only).

There are two different ways to achieve this, depending on which Service Pack you have on your XP installation:

If you are running Windows XP with SP2, you can download and install the LLTD component here.

If you are running Windows XP with SP3, a Hotfix is required and it can be downloaded here.

Thanks heaps Archean all fixed :) ,as i only use the other computers for lan didnt have service pack three on any of them or two on a few lol but know there all talking to each other again thanks once again to you and the whole Techspot Community
Kind Regards Herbster

You are most welcome; I'm glad it all worked out for you; happy computing or partying :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back