64-bit Chrome browser arrives for Windows, said to be faster with better security and stability

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google chrome 64-bit promises stability security performance

A dev-oriented 64-bit version of Google’s Chrome web browser is now available for use in Windows 7 and Windows 8. In a blog post on the matter, Google software engineer Will Harris said a 64-bit browser allows Google to take advantage of the latest processor and complier optimizations, a more modern instruction set and a calling convention that allows more function parameters to be passed quickly by registers.

In addition to speed, the browser should be more secure as the extra bits help better defend against exploitation techniques such as JIT spraying and improve the effectiveness of existing security features like heap partitioning.

Finally, Harris notes they’ve observed a marked increase in stability for 64-bit Chrome over its 32-bit counterpart. Specifically, he said crash rates for web content processing are nearly half that of the 32-bit version.

Google’s 64-bit browser is available as a beta through the Developer and Canary channels. This new version will replace your existing version while preserving all of your settings and bookmarks so there’s no need to uninstall a current version first. Just keep in mind that it is a beta release so there are bound to be a few bugs here and there.

Given its release into these channels, it wouldn’t be a stretch to see a 64-bit version hit the mainstream channel later this year. No word yet on whether or not Google is planning a 64-bit release for the Mac, however. Direct downloads here:

Permalink to story.

Faster at what? If it is not already using 100% CPU, then I won't notice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... you still reply to guests... huh...

I was going to say something like "Until it has a master password like firefox I won't even try it since security is not entirely up to the user" but now I remember I don't use it anymore... will give it a try :p

PS: I miss the "Watch this topic" option that was always enabled without receiving email notifications.

Kibaruk, are you posting from the front page or in forum mode? In forum mode, "Watch Topic" works for me.

When you reply from front page.

EDIT: So, I gave it a try and it sucked at least 1 more gig of ram than firefox usualy does with the same 5 tabs open all the time. Nope nope nope back to FF.

Last edited:
So... you still reply to guests... huh...
I reply to messages which came from anonymous individuals with funny names like havok585, who claim to be over 100 years old.

Guest, your logic is beyond me.

GZ!

To Anonymous individual with a funny name: -

Don't worry, one day it will be within you scope of understanding. That is what I am here for. To help you think logically. To do this, I need to get you to think. You have already made the first step.

On the subject of 64-bit code CPU instead of 32-bit CPU code: -

64-bit CPU code might use less CPU cycles. It does not necessarily use less transistor switches though, so it could use about the same amount of power. Apart from that, memory bandwidth, and Graphics Card, plus Internet Bandwidth are a bottleneck,.

Guest, your logic is beyond me.

GZ!

64-bit CPU code might use less CPU cycles. It does not necessarily use less transistor switches though, so it could use about the same amount of power. Apart from that, memory bandwidth, and Graphics Card, plus Internet Bandwidth are a bottleneck,.

DW.UK

But even if it does use the same amount of power, it still means the benefits can be felt if it can accomplish identical tasks with fewer cpu cycles especially nowadays when people are multitasking more.

Wow I just download the Google Chrome 64-bit Canary 37.0.2029.0
and WOW incredible faster!!! ...you realize the different

I downloaded it and well not much difference to me. I do however like the gold icon. I think system specs might come into play a bit here...

I downloaded it and well not much difference to me. I do however like the gold icon. I think system specs might come into play a bit here...

I don't know how your pc perform is , but my pc is rally powerful and move everything fast

Just downloaded Canary. It is noticeably snappier than 32-bit. Colors are a little off - or maybe my 32-bit colors were a little off. At any rate, I like it.

Yeah - giving it a shot here myself. Having to re-enter all my passwords, install my extensions and whatnot.

Just get Pale Moon instead. Besides being available in a 64-bit version, it also does away with the epic disaster that is the Analis interface of FF29.

It is great that Chrome is catching up, but I would really like to see decreased CPU and memory usage.

I don't know how your pc perform is , but my pc is rally powerful and move everything fast
That's entirely my point... I have a very modern and powerful PC and 100Mbps cable connection. I notice no difference in the speed of the browsers performance. However, Prehaps people with older pc's will see larger performance gains.

I'm not going to try the beta, but will definitely upgrade to this when it releases. Can't wait.

Yeah - giving it a shot here myself. Having to re-enter all my passwords, install my extensions and whatnot.

there was no need to re-enter all your pass or app all you is go to setting and Signed in your Google account Manage your synced data on. DONE!! you will get all your info back from the 32 version

Aunt jemima, what took you so long? 64 bit has been out how long? It was mainstay in 2008. If it ran on linux 64 bit, 32 bit programs don't even RUN unless you fiddle with some loopholes.

100 percent CPU usage?? Yeah, right... I run an AMD 8150 8-core CPU overclocked 15%.... and overclocked 2 gig 256 bit video card, I can't even get close to 40% usage. Living in the country, I'm limited to DSL or satellite internet service, with a max of 3 gb speed... Everything bottlenecks right there for me. Faster browser... lol... I don't notice a difference between any of them.... they are all as slow as my fastest option for internet service. Poor computer, it's bored most of the time! :'(

there was no need to re-enter all your pass or app all you is go to setting and Signed in your Google account Manage your synced data on. DONE!! you will get all your info back from the 32 version

Negative - that was the first thing I did. I'm betting it's because my original Chrome install was an AllUsers install.

Back