6800 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

how come i cant find a card sportin the 6800 Ultra GPU i can find the 6800XT's and the 6800GS's at newegg

also i was wondering if i would be better off with a 6800xt (or ultra if someone know where i can buy one) verse a 7600GS i know that a 7600GT would be the best bang for the buck, but i'm tight on cash..

i plan on have in a 3800+ x2 from amd and an asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with a gig of patriot ram for the time i will only use 1 graphics card, but hope to upgrade later this fall

I'd highly recommend a 7600GT or even the GS. I'm sure they perform better than the 6800 series. And they are newer too.

It's not too difficult. There are quite a few guides on the web which show you how to do it. Other members may be able to provide insight on this since I've never done it before but do know people who have done it.

It may be easy to unlock the extra pipelines on such a card but nothing says they will work. You can end up having visual artefacts or stability problems that will not go away until you disable them again.

I agree with Didou, maybe that 6800XT core has 4 extra defective pipelines, or maybe they can work properly.

There can rarely be defective pipelines but they do exist. The main problem is, it's somwehat of a gamble, since unless u have a 6800XT with an NV40 core, u can't unlock the pipelines. He wants an Ultra anyways so we'll leave it at that.

hey guys thanks for the discussion, i think i'm going to go with the 7600GT because my boss just gave me a nice raise ;) also having a 3800+ x2 cpu i'd be willin to bet that my graphics card would be the bottleneck...also finding another card in a bit for sli might be difficult....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back