7-Eleven's self-chilling cans cool your coffee with CO2

midian182

Staff member

Modern technology is a wondrous thing. Not only are there advanced AIs, virtual reality, and powerful computers in our pockets, but we also have something that addresses a very important need: self-chilling cans.

The cans debuted last week at fifteen 7-Eleven stores in Los Angeles. They’re used in a carbonated coffee line called Fizzics Sparkling Cold Brew Coffee and have been in development for 25 years by US packing manufacturer The Joseph Company International.

Buyers are able to activate an 8.4-ounce can by placing it upside down on a flat surface and twisting a knob at the bottom. This releases CO2 that lowers the temperature of the coffee within around 90 seconds. Once the hissing stops, the tasty beverage is ready to drink and is now about 30 degrees cooler.

“Because the self-chilling can technology is so groundbreaking, we wanted to introduce it with a super innovative beverage,” said Tim Cogil, 7-Eleven director of private brands, in a press release. “Sparkling coffee sodas met all the criteria. Previously available in some coffee shops, a handful of exclusive canned carbonated brews began showing up last summer. Fizzics will be the first that can be chilled on demand, bringing a new level of convenience to customers who want to enjoy a chilled drink whenever and wherever they are.”

Packing Digest notes that this isn’t the first iteration of the Chill-Can. But the previous version, which was licensed to Pepsi, used HFC134A as the main activating ingredient. The refrigerant raised concerns over its potential to speed global warming, leading to the cessation of manufacturing. The CO2 in the new version is recaptured from the atmosphere and reused in a process that has earned awards from the Environmental Protection Agency.

Mitchell Joseph, chairman/CEO of The Joseph Company and West Coast Chill, says there are no limitations on the type of liquids that can be chilled using his system. He adds that all West Coast Chill products will use the twist-activation technology going forward.

For those interested in trying Fizzics Sparkling Cold Brew Coffee, they cost $3.99 and come in three flavors: Regular, French Vanilla and Caramel.

Permalink to story.

Now THIS is what technology was meant for!! Who cares about running a game at 60FPS compared to 45FPS... getting my beer ice cold without having to put it in the fridge is where it's at!!!

Thank you Joseph Company!

They could have spent some of their research budget coming up with a better company name.

This is really cool, to be able to have one in a car after a long drive, and not need to bother with an in-car or portable fridge.

Gets even better, if you are doing mountain-hiking on a hot day.

UPDATE

After having watched the video, I'm now less excited about it. They say one needs to put the can on an even solid surface to get the coolant to work properly. Where the hell would you get that while out there on a trip or in a car? That is stupid. If it cannot be done while holding the can in your hands, then it is a no-go.

Last edited:
This is really cool, to be able to have one in a car after a long drive, and not need to bother with an in-car or portable fridge.

Gets even better, if you are doing mountain-hiking on a hot day.

UPDATE

After having watched the video, I'm now less excited about it. They say one needs to put the can on an even solid surface to get the coolant to work properly. Where the hell would you get that while out there on a trip or in a car? That is stupid. If it cannot be done while holding the can in your hands, then it is a no-go.
That's just for the "optimum" refrigeration... it would still get pretty cool if you had it in a cup-holder in your car....

Because the self-chilling can technology is so groundbreaking, we wanted to introduce it with a super innovative beverage,” said Tim Cogil, 7-Eleven director of private brands,

Good call - wouldn't want to try it something everyone wants it for - like beer maybe!

...after somebody popping a can while holding it between thighs, and freezing the d##k off. Yeah, there will be a law suit, titled "how I became a woman".
"How I got frozen stiff"
Something like that, I imagine.

Knowing some of the stunts people do, someone would probably try to inhale the sub-zero CO2. It could be the next fad after Tide Pod consumption. :eek: Then, of course, the lawsuits would also follow...and I can see the warning label on cans fitted with this: Caution: Super-cold temperatures. May cause freezing of exposed flesh!

Something like that, I imagine.

Knowing some of the stunts people do, someone would probably try to inhale the sub-zero CO2. It could be the next fad after Tide Pod consumption. :eek: Then, of course, the lawsuits would also follow...and I can see the warning label on cans fitted with this: Caution: Super-cold temperatures. May cause freezing of exposed flesh!

Realistically, I don't think that the CO2 in it would be cold enough to do any really damage. Yea it will be really cold and you could probably get your tongue stuck to it. From what I observed from the video this is basically the same as taking a CO2 canister for paintball and emptying it. Obviously this chill can is not at the same PSI. When I worked at a paintball field (many many moons ago) and the CO2 canisters were draining out (leaks, bad o-rings, etc) they would form a layer of ice and what not but it never did any damage. One of the refs did stick his tongue to one on a bet.

Personally I am more curious about the possibility of them exploding. That will mainly depend on the air pressure.

Realistically, I don't think that the CO2 in it would be cold enough to do any really damage. Yea it will be really cold and you could probably get your tongue stuck to it. From what I observed from the video this is basically the same as taking a CO2 canister for paintball and emptying it. Obviously this chill can is not at the same PSI. When I worked at a paintball field (many many moons ago) and the CO2 canisters were draining out (leaks, bad o-rings, etc) they would form a layer of ice and what not but it never did any damage. One of the refs did stick his tongue to one on a bet.

Personally I am more curious about the possibility of them exploding. That will mainly depend on the air pressure.
Or if the can malfunctions and releases all the CO2 faster than expected - such as if someone pokes a hole in it.

Good dose of sarcasm, there was in my previous post. ;)

Last edited:
Back