8 steps with no internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

My firend's computer has the same symptoms as you described (regedit, cmd prompt not working...) and I am going to perform the 8 steps removal instructions you posted.
The problem is that her computer can't connect to the internet, so even if I download (from another computer) and install the listed removal programs I won't be able to check for updates.
Do you have any suggestion how can I run the 8 steps on her computer but still make sure the scans are based on latest updates?

Thanks,

- Etti

You can have your friend reset the router and see if that will reestablish the connection:

To reset your router.

Start> Run> type cmd> enter> at the C prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (note space before the /)

Exit the Command prompt when finished and shut the system down.-

• [1]. Shut down your computer, and any other computer connected to your router.
    [2]. On the back of the router, there should be a small hole or button labelled RESET. Using a bent paper clip or similar item, hold that in continuously for twenty seconds.
    [3]. Unplug the router. Wait sixty seconds.
    [4].Now holding again the reset button, plug it back in. Continue holding the reset button for twenty seconds. Unplug the router again.
    [5].With the router unplugged, start your computer.
    [6].Connect to the router again. The turn the router back on.
    [7].When it stabilizes, reboot your workstation and try to access the internet. If you have any issues, access the Router configuration page and re-enter your authentication information.
    [8]. Reboot the system and test the internet. You may have to reconfigure the router settings based on your setup.
It would be helpful of you can print out these directions for your friend. If that gets the connection back, then the programs can be downloaded and installed directly to that machine.

If that doesn't work, update the program right before- download it to flash drive. Then install on problem computer.

Hi Bobbye
thanks for the reply.
The only problem is that the cmd prompt does not work (regedit and command.com don't either). This is what led me to this thread in the first place - removing the malware from her computer.
So just to be sure about your recommendation - you said that I can download the program to a flash drive on another computer (obviously) and update it. This means that I will have to install the program on the other computer, on the flash drive, and then install it to the infected computer.
What I don't understand is this - the program itself, the exe file would not get updated, I assume it is a config or data file of some sort. How would that then help me get the latest version of the antivirus? and then have the latest on the infected computer?

Forgive me for the lame questions, I just want to be sure I understand the solution.

Thanks!

I am so sorry! You clearly told me the command prompt wasn't available!
When you cannot update:
  • Manually download the definition updates HERE from another computer and SAVE to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD
  • Transfer flash drive to the infected machine.
  • Double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install the update.

Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily.

Another way to get the most current database definitions is to install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program, update through MBAM's interface, copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system.

* XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.

Source: Garmanma: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic262053.html

I have slightly edited the above.

Some of the malware is going to have to be removed before the reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back