8BitDo's N30 wireless mouse is a must-have for NES lovers

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: The 8BitDo N30 wireless mouse is clearly a nostalgia grab. It doesn’t look very comfortable for long-term use and there are far better options out there in terms of practicality but boy is that retro design incredibly gorgeous.

Third-party video game hardware maker 8BitDo is now shipping an affordable stocking stuffer that’s both nostalgic and practical.

Inspired by the original Nintendo Entertainment System, the 8BitDo N30 wireless mouse could easily be mistaken for a period correct accessory from the mid-1980s. Designed by Daniel Jansson years ago, the pointer has been brought to life through a partnership with 8BitDo and now you can own one.

The 2.4GHz mouse features left and right click buttons modeled after the A and B buttons from the original NES controller and even has a touch sensitive panel between the buttons. On the left side is a functional directional pad that offers page up / page down and forward / backward operation. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac.

Even the bottom of the pointer looks as you’d expect with feet on each corner, an on-off switch, the optical sensor and a battery compartment that also stores the USB dongle.

The 8BitDo N30 wireless mouse retails for $24.99 and for an additional $0.99, they’ll toss in an NES-inspired mouse pad.

Permalink to story.

The headline should read.. "Janky retro styled mouse designed by hipster Luigi lookalike."

The headline should read.. "Janky retro styled mouse designed by hipster Luigi lookalike."

How did you know Luigi is my favourite character in the Mario Bros franchise? I ain't no hipster though, but cute of you to think so.

It's lovely that you have opinions about the quality of something you've never seen in real life. It's definitely up to standard of 8BitDo's other devices, and they're very highly regarded in the retro gaming community.

Don't hate me cause I'm tall, can jump high and look great in green!

/Daniel

How did you know Luigi is my favourite character in the Mario Bros franchise? I ain't no hipster though, but cute of you to think so.

It's lovely that you have opinions about the quality of something you've never seen in real life. It's definitely up to standard of 8BitDo's other devices, and they're very highly regarded in the retro gaming community.

Don't hate me cause I'm tall, can jump high and look great in green!

/Daniel
We all have a right to our own opinions. Here you are lecturing me with yours, patronising as it is, even though your trying to disquising it as humour. I've used many rodent's over the years some from long before ergonomics was a real design concideration and none of them looked this uncomfortable to use on a daily basis. Nostalgia can't disguise a bad design.

Your complaints sound rather hollow after you literally painted a portrait of me as a "hipster Luigi" and the product as low quality by calling it "janky".

I'm not denying you your opinion, however having an opinion and showing contempt and trying to defame are two different things. If you feel it is lecturing to have to be reminded that judging something, and someone, based on a few images online, entirely void of first hand experience, then perhaps you do need some lecturing to remember not to be so presumptuous.

I've also been around since mice were little more than blocks. Because this is smaller and much lighter than mice from that era it fits much better in your hand. It may look uncomfortable, but it's far more comfortable than it appears. I've used modern "ergonomic" gaming mice with less comfort. I'm happily anticipating when people are going to get the ones they ordered during the launch yesterday and start releasing reviews.

Your complaints sound rather hollow after you literally painted a portrait of me as a "hipster Luigi" and the product as low quality by calling it "janky".

I'm not denying you your opinion, however having an opinion and showing contempt and trying to defame are two different things. If you feel it is lecturing to have to be reminded that judging something, and someone, based on a few images online, entirely void of first hand experience, then perhaps you do need some lecturing to remember not to be so presumptuous.

I've also been around since mice were little more than blocks. Because this is smaller and much lighter than mice from that era it fits much better in your hand. It may look uncomfortable, but it's far more comfortable than it appears. I've used modern "ergonomic" gaming mice with less comfort. I'm happily anticipating when people are going to get the ones they ordered during the launch yesterday and start releasing reviews.
So that's you in the video is it? Have you come on here to make sure people think what you wan't them to think of a mouse with too small buttons, sharp sides edges that will have your skin off and side buttons set too far back. Sorry if my comment doesn't meet your expectations. Also I didn't say there was anything wrong with looking lke a hipster, I look like one myself. Seems to me you just came here to look for an argument. Bit sad really.

Well, as long as it has a good enough sensor and a 1000 hz polling rate I can deal with the ergonomics

So that's you in the video is it? Have you come on here to make sure people think what you wan't them to think of a mouse with too small buttons, sharp sides edges that will have your skin off and side buttons set too far back. Sorry if my comment doesn't meet your expectations. Also I didn't say there was anything wrong with looking lke a hipster, I look like one myself. Seems to me you just came here to look for an argument. Bit sad really.

No, not looking for an argument. I think we are discussing as somewhat civilized people, barring your initial ad hominem comment. You have to excuse me if I don't believe you that "hipster Luigi" is a term of endearment. Also, no, this place is in no way unique. I have engaged with people since its launch, people who are curious and ask questions. You're the first person who went on the offensive right out of the starting blocks though. I have no issue really with you hating the product (besides thinking it silly), but I do take ad hominem attacks seriously. Who did you think it was in the video after my reply?

Again, you haven't had any actual experience with the mouse. The edges aren't sharp. They have what we in the profession call a fillet, or what you may call a roundover. I am a product designer with years of experience, this is not my first product, I know ergonomy. Yes, this is not an ergonomic gaming mouse (which there are many examples of poor design in as well), but it is far more comfortable than the original gamepad ever was.

No, not looking for an argument. I think we are discussing as somewhat civilized people, barring your initial ad hominem comment. You have to excuse me if I don't believe you that "hipster Luigi" is a term of endearment. Also, no, this place is in no way unique. I have engaged with people since its launch, people who are curious and ask questions. You're the first person who went on the offensive right out of the starting blocks though. I have no issue really with you hating the product (besides thinking it silly), but I do take ad hominem attacks seriously. Who did you think it was in the video after my reply?

Again, you haven't had any actual experience with the mouse. The edges aren't sharp. They have what we in the profession call a fillet, or what you may call a roundover. I am a product designer with years of experience, this is not my first product, I know ergonomy. Yes, this is not an ergonomic gaming mouse (which there are many examples of poor design in as well), but it is far more comfortable than the original gamepad ever was.
Right so you have managed to make a joke about someone who isn't you and a critique of a product you had absolutely nothing to do with, and made it all about you. You've took it upon yourself to telll someone you don't know what to think of a product they don't like, why? Why do you care so much of what I think of this. Why should I care about what you think? Why are we even having this ridiculous discourse. Let me clear this all up for you. I don't like this mouse, the reasons you alrady know. I will not change my mind on this, I don't care wether you like that or not. I do not wan't to keep replying to you so leave me alone, you won't change my mind so go find someone else to annoy, I won't be replying to you again.

Right so you have managed to make a joke about someone who isn't you and a critique of a product you had absolutely nothing to do with, and made it all about you. You've took it upon yourself to telll someone you don't know what to think of a product they don't like, why? Why do you care so much of what I think of this. Why should I care about what you think? Why are we even having this ridiculous discourse. Let me clear this all up for you. I don't like this mouse, the reasons you alrady know. I will not change my mind on this, I don't care wether you like that or not. I do not wan't to keep replying to you so leave me alone, you won't change my mind so go find someone else to annoy, I won't be replying to you again.

What? Were you dropped a lot as a child or something? The person in the video is me, the mouse is my design. What should perhaps have tipped you off is the name of the YouTube channel vs the user name next to my posts here, the name of the designer vs the fact that I signed my first entry here "Daniel".

As I said, I don't care if you don't like it, regardless if it's a presumptuous thing, but I do take ad hominem attacks seriously. I do not think they have any place in society, nor in civilized discourse between people. Then again, considering how the world is changing, how even world politicians (well, a specific world politician) expresses themselves, how people hide behind anonymity online only to spew bile at others, maybe it's not so strange and an uphill battle to go against.

Apologies if I annoyed you, that must be a terrible thing to deal with for a fragile mindset not used to pushback from those you try to defame.

That will be enough personal comments. If you feel the need to continue, do so via PM. Further posts containing any personal comments will be deleted regardless of any other content.

Back