90-100% CPU usage

Hey Guys,

I've posted something similar about this around several months ago but since the problem seems to be gone, I decided to let it go but now, it comes back :( . There wasn't any real solution from my last time so I decided to bring it up once more. So yeah, pretty much the same problem, the CPU Usage jumped to around 90-100ish and my in-game FPS drop to around 5-10 so it's been really bugging me.

My system specs:

System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M17xR3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16366MB RAM
Page File: 8091MB used, 24638MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 460M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 4048 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1488 MB
Shared Memory: 2559 MB

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Attachments

• performance tab.png
    performance tab.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 22
  • process tab.png
    process tab.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 27
Well, if im reading correctly, the CPU usage is due to google chrome, you have like 10 processes running just google chrome on that page alone and some of the pages are eating up your CPU according to the chart.

Well, if im reading correctly, the CPU usage is due to google chrome, you have like 10 processes running just google chrome on that page alone and some of the pages are eating up your CPU according to the chart.

I already tested it again actually but didn't manage to get the screenshot. Closed the chrome and only opened Dota 2 just to verify if Chrome is really the problem but still, the CPU usage reached about 99%. So I'm pretty sure Chrome is not the source of the problem :)

Wow, Google Chrome is using a lot of memory and CPU power. What version of Chrome are you using? Also, have you tried running a virus scan? You are running UTorrent, which may point to a possible virus since a lot of Torrents are virus-infested. Before running any scans, go into Chrome, press the three bars, go to tools, then go to task manager. Take a screenshot of that please.

Hmm, the problem seems to be gone (again). I remember that the highest one was shockwave flash since I watched Dota 2 live streams. But again, after I closed and end all the processes for chrome, the problem was back after around 5 minutes and keep going on... I'll post a screenshot as soon as the trouble rises again :p

Wow, Google Chrome is using a lot of memory and CPU power. What version of Chrome are you using? Also, have you tried running a virus scan? You are running UTorrent, which may point to a possible virus since a lot of Torrents are virus-infested. Before running any scans, go into Chrome, press the three bars, go to tools, then go to task manager. Take a screenshot of that please.

Oh and my laptop is protected by BitDefender + MalwareBytes and I scan my laptop at daily basis

Oh and my laptop is protected by BitDefender + MalwareBytes and I scan my laptop at daily basis

What version of Chrome are you using and can you please take a screen shot of the task manager in Chrome like I said in the above post.

During period of high CPU usage, in the Task Manager, click on "Show Processes from All Users". That should give you a better idea of what the problem might be.

I was experiencing high CPU usage recently on my work laptop, nothing showed in Task Manager, until I clicked on Show Processes from All Users. Turned out the McAffee scanner was running in the background.

From the Task Manager in the 1st post, the CPU usage of processes shown accounts for ~80%. What's consuming the other 16%?

Flash is using a lot. I think the issue is with another user. Is there more than 1 user on this PC?

Not exactly high CPU usage but it does illustrates my post above (#7). By checking "Show processes from all users", you'll see other programs that's not shown. In my case, "mcshield.exe" doesn't show unless the box is checked.

So if your problem is reproducible, try clicking/checking "Show processes from all users" during high CPU usage.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Not exactly high CPU usage but it does illustrates my post above (#7). By checking "Show processes from all users", you'll see other programs that's not shown. In my case, "mcshield.exe" doesn't show unless the box is checked.

So if your problem is reproducible, try clicking/checking "Show processes from all users" during high CPU usage.

View attachment 77370

View attachment 77371

Will Do and I'll attach it when my laptop is laggin again

Back