CPU Usage spike (100%) During Gaming

Hey im kinda new here so my apologies right off the bat if I dont give all the information you need right off the bat just message men if and what I need to update. Anyway onto the problem, Recently ive been playing Ragnarok Online 2 and I keep having random 100% CPU usage spikes randomly. Some days the game will play perfectly fine others it will spike, make this ear shattering electronic gargle noise and drop below 1FPS every 3-5 minuets and each spike lasts for about 15-45 seconds.

Computer Specs

Manufacturer: HP
Model: HP Pavilion dm4-2129us Notebook PC
Windows Rating
Processor: 7.0
RAM: 7.2
Graphics: 4.2
Gaming Graphics: 6.2
Primary hard Disk: 5.9
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) I5-2430 CPU @ 2.40GHZ Quad
Installed Memory: 4.00 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Ragnarok Online 2 Minimum Specs

Processor: Pentium 4 2.0\ Athlon XP 200
Memory: 2 GB Ram
VGA GeForce FX 5600 Or later 256 MB of VRAM
DirectX@:10
Hard Drive: 5 GB HD space
Additional: VRAM (Graphics card supporting Shader 2.0 or later)

I was at first considering it was a virus but Spybot/AVG hasnt picked up anything and it only happens during online gaming. Furthermore I have had this problem with other games before but just not this severe and it is starting too get annoying.

There is no such thing as a HP Pavilion dm4-2129us according to Google. Can you post your exact model since the one you provided does not exist.

Well, you don't have a graphics card. Your CPU is being used for CPU tasks along with graphics tasks. I suggest updating your Intel driver if it's not up-to-date.

I'm taking a guess that its a dv-2129us. Just like St1ckM4n said, update the Intel Graphics Drivers - if they are not up to date. You might also look to see what else might be running in the background that could be causing the boost in CPU usage. I've noticed with some systems, that if you leave Spybot running all the time, it can be a CPU "hog". Try turning off some running applications and see it that works.

Back