A court is banning one man from Roblox forever

mongeese

Staff
Facepalm: Congratulations to Benjamin Simon for receiving the harshest punishment ever imposed on a trolling gamer: a court-ordered ban from playing the game, talking about the game in a negative light, and going near the game developer’s offices.

Simon, better known by his YouTube handle Ruben Sim, was first banned from playing Roblox several years ago. His evasion of that ban, documented on his YouTube channel, and his public encouragement of trolling in the game, resulted in a lawsuit being filed against him by Roblox late last year.

It concluded last week when he settled with Roblox. Per their agreement—signed by a judge and legally enforceable—Simon has to pay the company $150,000 in damages and leave it alone afterward. Roblox's initial lawsuit asked for $1.6 million in damages.

In October last year, Simon tweeted a terrorist threat against the Roblox Developer Conference. The tweet linked to one of his now-deleted videos titled "Someone blow up Roblox now." Roblox had to put the event into a temporary lockdown, and this disruption allegedly cost them a large sum.

In addition, Roblox claims that they've spent over $100,000 to "investigate and block" Simon's attempts to evade his account(s) and IP bans over the past year or so and to prevent his "cybermobs" from causing harm to the game.

According to the suit, Roblox initially banned Simon for posting inappropriate content. He allegedly used homophobic and racist slurs and harassed individuals. Simon has disputed these claims. Roblox declined to include the content as evidence in the suit.

The suit also did not include Simon's social media posts that Roblox claims contained "libelous" and "false" statements about Roblox's CEO David Baszucki. Despite that, Roblox referenced them when it argued that Simon was engaged in a defamation campaign against the creators of the game.

Roblox initially called for Simon to delete his social media presence altogether. In the final order, Simon’s agreed to delete any of his social media posts that insulted the game, its developers, or promoted violations of its terms of service.

However, the ruling has not totally deterred Simon. He said he plans on posting a video response to the suit within a few months.

Permalink to story.

He should have been tossed in the clink that day.
Sometimes being an ***hole isn't enough.
I'm both sorry for, and loathe myself, because of what I'm about to do, being a grammar Nazi.
The second sentence makes no sense, and doesn't have a defined subject. In other words I'm unable to determine who "the a**hole" is. The judge, Roblox, whatshisname, all are potential candidates.

Again, sorry for asking.

I'm both sorry for, and loathe myself, because of what I'm about to do, being a grammar Nazi.
The second sentence makes no sense, and doesn't have a defined subject. In other words I'm unable to determine who "the a**hole" is. The judge, Roblox, whatshisname, all are potential candidates.

Again, sorry for asking.
Never associate yourself with Nazi's

Can't side with Roblox on this one. They are a lacking company who's customer service is very poor. Additional, they engage in business practices that boarder on predatory and illegal. While Mr Simon may have taken it little bit too far, his angst was not focused on a company undeserving of the wrath and unpleasantness from him and MANY other users.

Last edited:
Can't side with Roblox on this one. They are a lacking company who's customer service is very poor. Additional, they engage in business practices that boarder on predatory and illegal. While Mr Simon may have taken it little bit too far, his angst was not focused on a company undeserving of the wrath and unpleasantness from him and MANY other users.
Lots of people don't like lots of different companies for lots of different reasons. Does that give us the right to endlessly harass them with impunity? You say this particular company engages in business practices that border on predatory and illegal, yet you provide no proof or references of any kind. If you do possess such proof then feel free to use it against them in a court of law as is proper.

You say this particular company engages in business practices that border on predatory and illegal, yet you provide no proof or references of any kind.
Google is your friend. However, we can look no further than here at Techspot;
Just last year Roblox was not only allowing users to upload music for use by other users of the platform, but charged money for the upload. The first point is unlawful distribution of copyrighted material for profit, but they were also CHARGING money to kids for it. That is only the latest illegal act which is just slimy and scummy. This is not the only example by far.

You were saying?
If you do possess such proof then feel free to use it against them in a court of law as is proper.
Hmmm.. I don't need to do anything in court. But I WILL continue to call them slimy lowlifes and a bad company because that is what their own ACTIONS have shown them to be.

Last edited:

Again, sorry for asking.
The ***hole is the one that I said should have been put in jail.

a court-ordered ban from playing the game, talking about the game in a negative light, and going near the game developer’s offices.
See, this right here should be setting off red flags. That is a blatant violation of free speech. Ban him from the game, sure you can do that, and his threats are more then enough for a restraining order from their property, but preventing him from commenting on your game is going too far and is one hell of a slippery slope.

See, this right here should be setting off red flags. That is a blatant violation of free speech. Ban him from the game, sure you can do that, and his threats are more then enough for a restraining order from their property, but preventing him from commenting on your game is going too far and is one hell of a slippery slope.
I think that precisely what they are trying to convey is he cant slander Roblox. And thats just fine. Not against human rights. Think they just layman'd it up a bit.

Roblox initially banned Simon for posting inappropriate content. He allegedly used homophobic and racist slurs and harassed individuals. Simon has disputed these claims. Roblox declined to include the content as evidence in the suit. The suit also did not include Simon's social media posts that Roblox claims contained "libelous" and "false" statements about Roblox's CEO David Baszucki.
That there are people that think a ban after this was a violation of free speech is pitiful.

Again, sorry for asking.
No need to be sorry about asking. Perhaps rather than being sorry for your grammar issues, maybe don't share them at all unless, say for example, in a forum about grammar where it would be relevant?

No need to be sorry about asking. Perhaps rather than being sorry for your grammar issues, maybe don't share them at all unless, say for example, in a forum about grammar where it would be relevant?
Gee, thanks for the tip on how to post here. But, when all is said and done, all you did was criticize my post, and didn't contribute anything.to the topic with that effort.
Would you like to be the pot this time, or the kettle?

Just last year Roblox was not only allowing users to upload music for use by other users of the platform, but charged money for the upload. The first point is unlawful distribution of copyrighted material for profit, but they were also CHARGING money to kids for it.
Here's the thing, if someone is uploading music for which they don't have the copyrights, then it's incumbent on the copyright owner to pursue the action.
Don Henly (Eagles), bragged to congress that they had 60+ lawyers constantly searching the web for illegally uploaded material.
Some bands looking for the exposure, allow it to stay, or perhaps are unaware of it.
I doubt if too many bands would allow their music to remain in a setting where a company was eliciting a profit from it.

Bottom line, it is illegal to make threats to blow up a building, but it's not, to simply drop a dime about copyright violations.

This kid/douche/crackhead/psychopath/whatever, is digging his own grave.

If you can't get anyone to go along with you on some sort of class action basis, you're SoL. And slander well, you pretty much can't say anything you can't prove about someone who's already gunning for you.

Bottom line, the bomb threat could have been kicked over to criminal court, and if he was found guilty, at the very least, all of the conditions of the civil proceeding could have been attached to his probation.
Where one hot urine test, or a nasty utterance, could have seen him put behind bars.

Last edited:
It sounds harsh, but when he's calling in bomb threats and etc., it's going too far on his part and I agree with a ban like this.

I'm not going to take bets on this, but what do you think the odds are he can post a video reply about a company that just finished suing him, without making ANY negative comments about the company as the court order orders him to? Yeah this seems like a bad idea.

Here's the thing, if someone is uploading music for which they don't have the copyrights, then it's incumbent on the copyright owner to pursue the action.
Don Henly (Eagles), bragged to congress that they had 60+ lawyers constantly searching the web for illegally uploaded material.
Some bands looking for the exposure, allow it to stay, or perhaps are unaware of it.
I doubt if too many bands would allow their music to remain in a setting where a company was eliciting a profit from it.
And this is why they were hit with that legal action I mentioned above.
Bottom line, it is illegal to make threats to blow up a building, but it's not, to simply drop a dime about copyright violations.

This kid/douche/crackhead/psychopath/whatever, is digging his own grave.
I'm not saying he didn't take it too far, because it's clear he did. What I'm saying is the reasons for doing so were legitimate. Roblox is a garbage predatory company run by predatory lowlife people.

Last edited:
Gee, thanks for the tip on how to post here. But, when all is said and done, all you did was criticize my post, and didn't contribute anything.to the topic with that effort.
Would you like to be the pot this time, or the kettle?
I had to point it out so you can refrain in the future. Obvs you didnt realise, so it had to be said. Thats the point right there. Useful, which is more than I can say for your remarks. Twice now. Give it up.

I had to point it out so you can refrain in the future. Obvs you didnt realise, so it had to be said. Thats the point right there. Useful, which is more than I can say for your remarks. Twice now. Give it up.
And again, a personal comment directed at me.
We have low time amateur moderators joining here all the time. What makes you think you're special? Or have any authority?

The post you're whimpering about was intended as an elaborate joke. You didn't think it was funny. I get it. Now it's time for you to move on..

While we're on the topic of grammar, do you even proofread this crap before putting it up, for spelling?

And by the way, I have absolutely no intention of "following your orders".

Last edited:
The post you're whimpering about was intended as an elaborate joke. You didn't think it was funny. I get it. Now it's time for you to move on..
This is true. Your interesting brand of humor takes some getting used to. Let's go easy on alchemist, you can't blame them for being unaware.. Especially when you are subtle in a way that isn't readily obvious.

Especially when you are subtle in a way that isn't readily obvious.
But if I were, I wouldn't actually be subtle, now would I?

I will say tho, if >>I<< were blessed with being an alchemist, I'd head to the head, and try to sh!t myself a gold brick.

Last edited:
All these people calling it slimy to charge kids money I am laghing at FR I mean her is a list of popler games that make kids spend money also its a free GAME HOW ELSE DO YOU THIK THAY MAKE MONEY

1. fortnite
2. minecraft
3. five nights at freddys
4. battle front
5. pubg
6. every free game ever

here is my argument have a wonderfull day

All these people calling it slimy to charge kids money I am laghing at FR I mean her is a list of popler games that make kids spend money also its a free GAME HOW ELSE DO YOU THIK THAY MAKE MONEY

1. fortnite
2. minecraft
3. five nights at freddys
4. battle front
5. pubg
6. every free game ever

here is my argument have a wonderfull day
I think you (almost) completely missed the point.

That companies charge people for objects, weapons, or perks, in a supposedly "free game", is a given. After all, nobody is under the illusion these companies are sponsoring the game, "our of the goodness of their hearts"

However, (assuming the allegations against Roblox are true), they are charging people to upload music, (to which those person(s) have no legal copyright claim), then using said music in their game, and further profiting from it, is so blatantly illegal, they should be sued and/or prosecuted over it.

And here we go again with a PDF of , "The Digital Millennium Copyright Act":

Martina McBride, (country singer) did a song called, "Independence Day". There is a huge disconnect between the lyrics of the verse, to the lyrics of the chorus. The chorus sounds, and is worded, like a major patriotic anthem.

Donald Trump appropriated the chorus only for his rallies. Subsequently, Ms. McBride and the copyright owners forced him to stop using it, under a public performance without permission clause in the DMCA.

Here's the official video:

And here's the lyrics. See if you can figure out the disconnect I spoke of. (Chorus in bold).

Lyrics

Well she seemed all right by dawn's early light
Though she looked a little worried and weak.
She tried to pretend he wasn't drinkin' again
But daddy'd left the proof on her cheek.
And I was only eight years old that summer
And I always seemed to be in the way
So I took myself down to the fair in town
On Independence Day.
Well ,word gets around in a small, small town
They said he was a dangerous man
But mama was proud and she stood her ground
But she knew she was on the losin' end.
Some folks whispered and some folks talked
But everybody looked the other way
And when time ran out there was no one about
On Independence Day.