A live-action Dungeons & Dragons series is coming to Paramount+

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: If you are looking forward to the upcoming theatrical release of Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, then you might be pleased to learn that Paramount has just agreed to bring a live-action D&D series to the small screen via its streaming service. The pilot is in very early production, with Rawson Marshall Thurber writing and directing.

Deadline reports that Paramount+ has won a bid to produce a television series based on the Dungeons & Dragons franchise. The streaming service has partnered with Entertainment One (eOne) on the project and tapped Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story director Rawson Marshall Thurber to write and direct the pilot.

Production company eOne shopped the idea around back in November. Competition to land the show was fierce, with Paramount ultimately having the highest bid (undisclosed). It would appear that Paramount and eOne are doubling down on the D&D franchise even though their co-produced full-length motion picture adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, doesn't hit theaters until March 31.

Dungeons & Dragons' IP holder Hasbro acquired eOne in 2019 with apparent aspirations of adapting some of its properties for television. President of Global Television Michael Lombardo's vision is for the series to be just the beginning of an entire live-action D&D cinematic universe, with other "scripted and unscripted" shows and movies yet to be announced.

The producers have not cast the series yet, but seeing Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's name pop up would not be surprising. Thurber worked with Johnson in his last three films, Red Notice, Skyscraper, and Central Intelligence. However, Thurber's brief resume showing he has only directed six movies between 2004 and 2021 leaves questions about the quality of the production. All six of Thurber's films received mediocre reviews from critics and viewers. However, Red Notice reportedly broke Netflix viewership records, and Thurber has already signed on for a sequel.

One thing the show does have going for it is the resurgence of interest in tabletop D&D gaming brought on primarily by its use as a prominent prop/theme in the wildly popular Netflix hit Stranger Things. What was once a geeky, albeit fun, game played in our mom's basements is now a trendy pastime with podcasts, websites, live-streamed sessions, and non-gaming merchandise dedicated to the brand. Maybe that momentum will be enough to propel the series to success. A good box office showing for Honor Among Thieves would also help.

Permalink to story.

Oh boy....the movie looks horrid. Way too cheesy imo.
Movie will bomb and this will get canceled....my guess.

Oh boy....the movie looks horrid. Way too cheesy imo.
Movie will bomb and this will get canceled....my guess.

The one trailer I've seen is leagues above that Uwe Boll garbage. But I kind of understand what you're saying - its definitely not going to be treated like Tolkien. Honestly, I don't have a real problem with it being adventure-comedy. If you think about the core experience that's usually what happens. If they wanted to do a more serious take on the franchise then I'd say reserve that for Dragonlance.

The one trailer I've seen is leagues above that Uwe Boll garbage. But I kind of understand what you're saying - its definitely not going to be treated like Tolkien. Honestly, I don't have a real problem with it being adventure-comedy. If you think about the core experience that's usually what happens. If they wanted to do a more serious take on the franchise then I'd say reserve that for Dragonlance.
It just looks way too goofy for a series on D&D imo. And what a shame with so much content that they would make a joke out of it.
But we will see.

She is a terrible actress.
I wish they stopped hiring her.
That angry look makes me hate a movie.

No thank you.

Willow was a disappointment on Disney+.
* Acting was bad from everyone
* The story didn't move along smoothly, there are gaps that make going from one scene to the next in a few spots confusing.
* Sometimes some actions taken in some scenes had zero explanation as to what is going on
* The "wokeness" (is that a word?) Disney has crammed into the show makes everything cringe worthy.

I really liked the movie when I was little, I had it on VHS and my mom and I would watch it at least a couple of times a year. I was tempted to watch the movie again before I tried the series since I haven't seen it in 15+ years, but there was enough of a recap that jogged my memory.

I tried really hard to get into it, but after the third episode I couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't take the crap they produced for this show.

After too many game spinoffs for movies that outright just suck I think this movie is going to suck:
Street Fighter (I'm a fan of Van Damme. I always liked watching him in movies, but this one sucked).
Super Mario Bros
Doom
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider (all of them)
Warcraft
Mortal Kombat (to be honest, I kind of liked the first one, but I was only about 14 or 15 when it came out...but after seeing it again after I was older, it sucked)
Dungeon Siege
Hitman
Assassin's Creed
....and the list goes on!

I have zero faith this D&D movie and what appears to be a series to follow. I feel they will won't do the game franchise any favors and only blemish it.

Generic garbage strikes again! Wow, next in line Baldur`s Gate, Fallout, Elder Scrolls series, who knows, man, there`s so many titles out there ready to be savaged by "creative freedom" with a little touch of wokeness. And why not? Easy money, people will see it anyways, because of their fond memories.
Yes, a little touch of "wokeness", you people really need to stop with this dog whistle nonsense. When you don't like something it's automatically labeled as woke. Why don't you just say what you really mean? You don't want brown/black/gay people in any of your movies/series. It should be an all white cast with a white male lead, right?

Yes, a little touch of "wokeness", you people really need to stop with this dog whistle nonsense. When you don't like something it's automatically labeled as woke. Why don't you just say what you really mean? You don't want brown/black/gay people in any of your movies/series. It should be an all white cast with a white male lead, right?
Actually it was the woke crowd who created the woke phrase. And by leftist standards "you people" is bigoted...it doesn't matter how it just is. Because I'm offended....for some reason.

And how crazy do you have to be to believe that not wanting forced social issues shoehorned into every movie means you want an all white cast and no black/brown/gay people?
Maybe stop assuming the worst about everyone who looks at the world different than yourself. You and the "woke" crowd don't determine right from wrong and you're certainly not on some moral pedestal.

I have the official stats here.. let's see.. hmm. It looks like 98% of time when someone brings up 'woke' they're right wingers.

Ok, that seems to match anecdotal evidence.

Back