A new CPU, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi everybody, I recently posted something similar to this but I'm still confused.
I'm planning on upgrading my pc with a new CPU (maybe the mobo, it depends), and maybe a new graphics card.

For the CPU part I was recommended two processors. One is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache.
And the other was the Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7500 @2.93 Ghz and 3M cache.
I recently bought GTA IV, and I can't realy run it now. So I want to make GTA IV my guideline. My question is: Which one is best? And if I bought an Intel one, I would need to upgrade my mobo, because I have an AMD mobo now (M2A-VM). Would this one do the trick?

Ok, now for the graphics card part. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm even going to upgrade this one, it depends on what I need for GTA IV and future games.
But if I was going to upgrade, this was a recommendation I got this one. If I should upgrade, would this be a good choice? If not, are there any better quality Graphics Cards for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bad english ;)

Marty

Go for the Intel CPU and this motherboard, unless you are buying the P5KPL-VM from somewhere other than Newegg.

The HD 4670 is a great card for any resolution upto 1440x900. Beyond that, the HD 4830 is what you should aim for. But anything above an HD 4670 will require a good PSU to run.

How much is your total budget? I can link you to specific parts if you want.

Ok, so the Intel cpu should be fine with GTA IV? And yes, I'm buying somewhere else than newegg, so is the P5KPL-VM ok?

About the Video card, the HD4670 is about $120ish right? And I have a 22" widescreen, so It would be able to handle it right? And about the PSU, where can I find my current supply?

The budget would be around $350 / $400..

Another small question: I'm able to play GTA IV, only I have terrible lag, and slowmotion like gamplay, is this caused by my graphicscard (8500GT) or cpu (Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @2.1 Ghz)?

The ASUS board will do. It is practically identical to the Gigabyte board I linked you to.

The HD 4670 is <$100, and can be had for $70-ish with a rebate. But for a 22 inch monitor, I would highly recommend the HD 4850. It is about $100 more than the HD 4670 but delivers fantastic performance. However, you will need a new PSU for it, unlike the HD 4670.

Regarding the PSU, you can find it at the top of your case, towards the back. There is usually a sticker there that looks like this:
sn41g2v2_psu_sticker.jpg

Post all the info on the sticker.

Another small question: I'm able to play GTA IV, only I have terrible lag, and slowmotion like gamplay, is this caused by my graphicscard (8500GT) or cpu (Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @2.1 Ghz)?

An 8500GT is really only a good choice for basic dual monitors, or for driving a high-def TV (Since I think they all have HDCP). I Have one, love it, but Scrabble's my game. A reasonable expectation of good gaming performance would be gotten starting at the 9600GT. (At least with Nvidia's products).

listen to rage and i would def go intel for gaming. the 8500 is not a gaming card at all and the cpu you have is also kinda on the weak side.

Hi all, sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.
And I've got everything sorted out. Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back