A number of RTX 2080 Ti owners say the cards are failing

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Despite its negative points, there’s no denying that Nvidia’s latest flagship GPU—the RTX 2080 Ti—is an absolute beast of a graphics card, but that counts for nothing if it doesn’t work. According to a number of online reports, many of these expensive pieces of hardware are already failing.

The RTX 2080 Ti might allow single-card 4K gaming at 60fps, but the $1100+ price tag and lack of titles that support ray tracing are making it a hard sell for many people, but what’s even worse is that some early adopters have experienced major problems with their cards.

These issues range from artifacting to the cards completely failing to work. One GeForce forum user writes that out of the three RTX 2080 Ti cards they bought, two of them—both founders editions—have died after 2 – 3 weeks of use, which they say is due to progressive degradation of GDDR6 memory.

Earlier this month, it was reported that some RTX 2080 Ti users were experiencing severe artifacting, possibly due to faulty GDDR6 modules unable to operate at the GPU's default clock speed.

There are more reports of these problems on Reddit, including claims of blue screens of death and constant crashes. But the most worrying element for Nvidia could be that some users who sent back their GPUs for an RMA found that the replacements were also faulty.

While there are a few reported problems with the RTX 2080, it seems the majority of these failures are with the RTX 2080 Ti. Most reports involve Founders Edition cards, though there are some mentions of third-party variants also failing.

While there are doubtlessly plenty of RTX 2080 Ti owners who’ve had no issues with their purchases, the significant number of online complaints suggest this might be something Nvidia needs to investigate.

Permalink to story.

This is entirely unacceptable in a card that costs as much as last gen Titans.
It's unacceptable regardless of price. GPUs go through through design and vetting processes.

For errors like this to sneak through shows either complete apathy on the part of nvidia or a massive problem with GDDR6 (which should have been caught in the aforementioned vetting process).

Either way it looks bad on nvidia. If only AMD had something to compete with....

It's unacceptable regardless of price. GPUs go through through design and vetting processes.

For errors like this to sneak through shows either complete apathy on the part of nvidia or a massive problem with GDDR6 (which should have been caught in the aforementioned vetting process).

Either way it looks bad on nvidia. If only AMD had something to compete with....

Wonder if the problem is a bad batch of VRAM or if there's something architecturally wrong with the design itself...

Is it just that the vram is overclocked beyond its safe limits ? ppl should try downclocking their cards and see if that helps .... doesn't look good for the launch of the mid-range any time soon.

This issue has been knocking about the Nvidia forum and reddit for some time.

Don't know if it's a design flaw or failure of Nvidia to properly check the cards but in any case I would not buy a card prone to failure.

That's why you don't preorder
That's why you wait for reviews
That's why you wait for sales

And anyone who spends $1700 CND + 13% tax = nearly $2,000 for a card is nuts
Someone has to beta test the new gen of hardware. If no one bought them at the start no one would know about these defects until it was very far reaching.

Wonder if the problem is a bad batch of VRAM or if there's something architecturally wrong with the design itself...
I have to imagine it is either a bad batch of DDR6, or a bad batch of memory controllers overvolting the VRAM past safe limits. I cant imagine nvidia would ignore something like this during testing, so it is most likely something after the fact causing these issues. .

This is a concern somewhat. Think about this. You expect your card to last at least 2-3 years. And buying them now without knowing how many more will fail and not knowing if they are as reliable as the previous generation seems like a bad decision.
I thought of buying 2070. Now I have to wait for a year to see if this is an isolated problem which affects a very small number of cards. But I cant afford to have it fail on its third or fourth year where I plan to still keep it.

Someone has to beta test the new gen of hardware. If no one bought them at the start no one would know about these defects until it was very far reaching.

Thank you super rich snobs for testing for the rest of us. Regardless, this looks very bad for Nvidia. I'd be super pissed

This is a concern somewhat. Think about this. You expect your card to last at least 2-3 years. And buying them now without knowing how many more will fail and not knowing if they are as reliable as the previous generation seems like a bad decision.
I thought of buying 2070. Now I have to wait for a year to see if this is an isolated problem which affects a very small number of cards. But I cant afford to have it fail on its third or fourth year where I plan to still keep it.

There is a warranty period so you can get an exchange/refund within that time. Annoying but that's why warranties exist.

Have at it, best-of-the-besters. My 1080 Ti will suffice for many years to come. The Witcher 3 looks awesome right now, without Ray Tracing.
I am not even sure ray tracing makes anything looks better at all at this time. There was nothing special on RTX presentation except the shadows and reflection they showed in their Ball bench. I am not amazed at what I have seen. It feels like another physx when it was bought by Nvidia. If only RTX gave 200% performance compared to 10xx instead of rays, if only...

I am not even sure ray tracing makes anything looks better at all at this time. There was nothing special on RTX presentation except the shadows and reflection they showed in their Ball bench. I am not amazed at what I have seen. It feels like another physx when it was bought by Nvidia. If only RTX gave 200% performance compared to 10xx instead of rays, if only...
Yeah, at a 25-30% performance increase, I'm not a buyer. I'm perfectly happy with the "prettiness" of my current games. And I've got all the FPS I need at 3440x1440p. :)

Last edited:
Hmm...sad to see my next would-be upgrade is a dud.... I was waiting to get it after 1 or 2 years when the price comes down...maybe by then, there will be new corrected batch... so, good that I waited.

"While there are a few reported problems with the RTX 2080, it seems the majority of these failures are with the RTX 2080 Ti."

How are the sales of these cards? Maybe people just don't buy as much 2080 as 2080Ti?

Back