A pair of AMD Zen 4 engineering samples have appeared online

mongeese

Staff
Forward-looking: AMD announced Zen 4 earlier this week at CES 2022, but they didn’t go into details. So, let the Ryzen 7000 series leak begin.

A pair of engineering samples have been found in the public database of the MilkyWay@home project, which is using distributed computing to create a model of our galaxy. They both ran the application for a few days in late December.

The pair identified themselves as being in "Family 25," which is how we know they’re based on the Zen 4 architecture. One of their OPNs ended in "665" while the other ended in "666," indicating they’re adjacent to each other in the line-up.

That’s interesting because one of them had 8 cores and the other had 16, so there might not be a 12-core model.

The database entries also revealed that they have 1024 KB of L2 cache per core, up from the 512 KB used by all the preceding Zen architectures. Beyond that, though, the entries didn’t say much else about the processors.

Amusingly, they were both paired with an Nvidia RTX 2080, which suggests that they’re in the hands of an OEM, not AMD themselves. That lines up with AMD’s plan to release them in the second half of the year.

In the meantime, there’ll be a lot more leaks as OEMs test their AM5 motherboards, DDR5 memory, and PCIe 5.0 devices with the new processors.

Image credit: Unervi González

Permalink to story.

That’s interesting because one of them had 8 cores and the other had 16, so there might not be a 12-core model.
I wouldn't make assumptions like that. Considering their chiplet design I find it very unlikely they wouldn't have a 12 core model.

I did hear that the new ryzen CPUs would be on a single die. However, they could do something like what they did with CPUs like the Phenom 720BE and just disable the 4th core if it was a bad core

I wouldn't make assumptions like that. Considering their chiplet design I find it very unlikely they wouldn't have a 12 core model.

I did hear that the new ryzen CPUs would be on a single die. However, they could do something like what they did with CPUs like the Phenom 720BE and just disable the 4th core if it was a bad core
It's news/tech site, assumptions is what they do. If there was concrete evidence they wouldn't have assumed there is no 12 core.
Maybe AMD didn't have one ready and one comes out later or at release.
Since one wasn't seen but 2 others were you can assume one isn't likely coming but it's not a fact. If people want facts, wait for AMD announcements and stay off news/tech sites.

I don't have any issue with news or tech stories but I also don't take them to heart as be all/know all. It's news and news isn't always factual. A lot of spectualtion is involved with news.

It's news/tech site, assumptions is what they do. If there was concrete evidence they wouldn't have assumed there is no 12 core.
Maybe AMD didn't have one ready and one comes out later or at release.
Since one wasn't seen but 2 others were you can assume one isn't likely coming but it's not a fact. If people want facts, wait for AMD announcements and stay off news/tech sites.

I don't have any issue with news or tech stories but I also don't take them to heart as be all/know all. It's news and news isn't always factual. A lot of spectualtion is involved with news.
my issue with that specific assumption is that AMD has historically released chips like this as a way of increasing yields.

And making assumptions isn't what the news is for. While news isn't always factual, it is the job of the media to report facts. There is a name for articles written with opinion, they're called editorials. This is a technology news website, not buzzfeed.

my issue with that specific assumption is that AMD has historically released chips like this as a way of increasing yields.

And making assumptions isn't what the news is for. While news isn't always factual, it is the job of the media to report facts. There is a name for articles written with opinion, they're called editorials. This is a technology news website, not buzzfeed.
Assumptions isnt what the news is for? While that should be true, its not true in the actual news world like cnn n the rest who are called the news.

One could say its a fair assumption as 2 procs were shown n the 12 core wasnt but has been speculated that there is one.

Hate to tell ya this but the news today is all based on assumptions and speculation. Even when some stories are supposed to be factual, we find later on that they are not. Most dont vet or do proper research to find the facts.

Assumptions isnt what the news is for? While that should be true, its not true in the actual news world like cnn n the rest who are called the news.

One could say its a fair assumption as 2 procs were shown n the 12 core wasnt but has been speculated that there is one.

Hate to tell ya this but the news today is all based on assumptions and speculation. Even when some stories are supposed to be factual, we find later on that they are not. Most dont vet or do proper research to find the facts.
I'm sure many journalists are pleased your standards for "news" are so low

Back