A Windows XP Setup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nultrix

Hi , i have a computer and laptop. I have recently wiped out my laptop and i am not able to re-install Windows XP Home Edition. When ever i try to install it , it always ends up loading for ever.

If you could help me, id be very greatful.

Before attempting the reinstall
> Disconnect any unnecessary devices (flash drives, USB web cams, etc)
Then try again

If your computer has internal card reader and/or fingerprint reader you should try disconnecting them as well. (check your BIOS as they can often be disable that way)

At the begining of the Setup, it loads for ever.
Everything is disconnected. As i said , everything on my laptop was wiped out

Let's start somewhere. Is the CD drive set as the first boot device? Is your hard drive IDE or SATA?

Also try removing any extra Ram cards
ie if you currently have 2 x 512meg of Ram installed, temporarily remove one card and then install XP on the single Ram card only
Once XP is fully installed return the other Ram card(s)

Also follow this guide (exactly) on doing a clean install of XP Home, including removing the Partition(s)

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Nultrix

1. Follow the steps per kimsland's advice. If it still fails, please respond per below

2. Exactly where does it hang during setup? Seup consists of two distinct parts
  • In the 1st part, one is prompted to hit F8 to accept Windows licensing, setup partitions and reformat, etc.
  • In the 2nd part, you see the little bits about how Windows will benefit you, a list of what Setup is doing now and the what's next, and a countdown of how many minutes are left for Setup to complete
Does setup hang in Part 1 or Part 2?? If Part 2, how many minutes does it say is left?

3. What is the specific make/model of your computer?[

/* edit */
And if it hangs during Part1, what is the last message displayed on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back