Able to Ping but cannot browse internet over wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone first post here, be gentle!

I'm posting here because I am at my wit's end. I consider myself a little tech savvy but am no means a professional. Here's the story:

My girlfriend has been using her laptop to wirelessly connect to my router for about 3.5 years. Upon returning from a vacation about 5 days ago the laptop would connect to the router it would show a strong signal but pages would not load. Sometimes they would load halfway and then time out.

I am able to ping my router, and external sites with no issues by name and ip address.

What still works:
The laptop can connect to other routers with no problem.
Other wireless devices can connect to my router with no problem.
The laptop can use a wired connection with my router with no problem.

What does not work:
The laptop and my router wirelessly.

Things I've tried:
Power cycling all components multiple times.
Complete malware/virus scans
Now disabled all firewalls, Antivirus, and wireless security
Updated to latest Wireless NIC drivers and Router firmware
System restore to previous known working timepoint with no effect
Resetting router to factory settings.

Googling revealed possible issues:

I have followed this guide: How to Troubleshoot Black Hole Router Issues in the microsoft knowledge base (sorry cant post links)

but Enable PMTU Black Hole Detection does not work, and I cannot find a packet size that consistently returns, usually I will get a few to return and then I will repeat the ping with the same packet size and they are all lost.

I also followed this guide: How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in the microsoft knowledge base

but it did not seem to be the problem. I reset it nonetheless and the problem persists.

Summary:
Can ping but I cannot browse, pages load halfway at best and then time out. I believe I have done all of the basics, and investigated Winsock corruption which does not seem to be the problem and MTU size which I cannot manually set lower because there is no consistent size in which packets are returned, nor does automatic detection resolve the problem.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated! ARRG!

see this

The wireless connection should be able to ping (by address)
  1. your router
  2. your pc
  3. your ISP gateway address
  4. your ISP DNS addresses
nslookup www.google.com
should yield the IP address and
tracert www.google.com
should give routing+timing info

Follow-up with the ipconfig /all from the wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back