About defragging

learninmypc

Before I started my Vista defrag this morning it showed 68.509.058.560 bytes. 63.8 gb. used space.
40.2 gb's free space.
Some 4 hours later, I saw 70. plus bytes used space & then it suddenly dwindled down to 53.
I have no problem with it, just curious why the number(s) vary so much. :)

If you define that as by programs in the notification area, yes. I was told many years ago one should click & shut down ALL programs in the notification area & be offline but I haven't done that in many years. Is that what you mean?

No, What I meant did you have any open at the time. If so this will show more disk usage.

I have no technical explanation but I can tell you that this is normal, at least from my experiences. Every once and a while I clean up my PC with CCleaner and then defrag it. I look at the storage before and after and it definitely fluctuates. Sometimes I get less storage after defrag and sometimes more. It seems normal. Maybe someone can offer a technical explanation. Possibly jobeard?

I've no techie experience either, but I've read dozens of theories & speculation so I'll wait to see what jobeard says. Thank you :)

If you're running Vista then the culprit might be the task scheduler. Please don't ask me what that is. Anyway Vista like many windows operating system (OS) run certain programs from time to time as part of its up keep of the OS. Some but not all programs that are scheduled to run tend to use a large amount of memory. When almost all of the RAM is used then the OS uses virtual memory. Virtual memory comes from the unused portion of memory from the hard drive. This explains why you have fluctuations of data on your hard drive from time to time. After the program has completed its task, virtual memory is no longer required and is reclaimed by the hard drive.

If you're running Vista then the culprit might be the task scheduler. Please don't ask me what that is. Anyway Vista like many windows operating system (OS) run certain programs from time to time as part of its up keep of the OS. Some but not all programs that are scheduled to run tend to use a large amount of memory. When almost all of the RAM is used then the OS uses virtual memory. Virtual memory comes from the unused portion of memory from the hard drive. This explains why you have fluctuations of data on your hard drive from time to time. After the program has completed its task, virtual memory is no longer required and is reclaimed by the hard drive.

Well now -- what a vote of confidence :grin:

Regardless of what show up as free space; here are some considerations on defrag:
  1. run CLEANMGR twice (once as admin & again as user). This empties system \temp, update junk as well as %userprofile%\temp. Why defrag temps and junk?
  2. run CHKDSK c: /F to ensure you don't induce more problems via defrag
  3. I GREATLY recommend Defraggler; It provides far more control over what is being processed.
  4. Always go offline when running defrag - - this is not the time for email, popups and program updates.
On (3); why defrag the System Restore Points? For that matter, there's lots of stuff that imo, 'just doesn't matter', eg seldomly access picture, videos, ...

There's an option KB to delete obsolete MS Updates to improve the operations of CLEANMGR,
(see https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/add-on-for-cleanmgr.205046/)

and I think there's another post here for Defraggler usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your talking about Jobeard's post 13. . I use the clean manger first. Then what ever temp file cleaner. Then I defrag the machine I have always like to clean my system up before running a defrag.

Back