Accessing router from usb wireless adapter-ssid detected correctly but MAC incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!

I have tried 2 different usb wireless adapters on my desktop to "associate" with my westell model 327W router connected (& functioning (from verizon dsl) to my laptop & the ssid is detected correctly but the MAC does not match the router's MAC! Both of the adapters I've tried (NETGEAR & Linksys) detect the same MAC. Again, the ssid matches my routers' but the MAC is incorrect (according to the bottom of the router). What can I do? Argh! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)
chiquita

If you're report is correct, then likely that you are discovering a nearby neighbor's router with the same ssid.

you should use a wire connect, access the router and change the ssid to something
person (ie not the default) AND the admin password. Save and restart the router.

thanks for your help. I tried that (I think I did it correctly--accessed router from laptop it is connected to & then tried to access from desktop but it still came up as the correct ssid & incorrect MAC... my neighbor's does show up as Emily for ssid & then her MAC # (which IS different) the new names (new ssid & hex wep) I thought I assigned did not show up at all. Do you think I did something incorrectly? Oh the good new is that instead of 1mbps for throughput & got anywhere from 18-36 mbps after i did the above..???
Anyway, do you have any other ideas? I REALLY appreciate your input!!

First, if it's your SSID and the connection is good, why fuss?

Second, it's possible that you're comparing two MAC numbers, seeing the difference,
but go one of them from the wrong location.

Just add WPA encryption to your router and have a warm-fuzzy-feeling of a secured network :)

Hi, thanks again for your help. If i were connected, you're right, I wouldn't fuss but my connection is _._._._ (blank) I'm NOT connected. I just don't understand why it's not working. The ssid is correct, it's the MAC that is showing incorrect on either usb adapter I try.... it comes up as a totally different MAC than what is on the router! Maybe the problem is something else entirely but this seems to be the discrepency. Again, any input is welcome & I appreciate your time & help! Thanks

This thread for Basic Networking will give us a common language for this problem.

A wired connection helps investigate the wireless connection. The logs & client tables shed light on what is happening.

The utility / configuration programs that come with the Wireless adapters are also important.

Up to this point, from your posts, it appears that the 'radio' part of the connection is working with respect to the ssid and encryption key. Your last post indicates that the wireless adapter is not connected.

The standard network tools that come with XP have not exposed me to MAC addresses beyond the host computer. The router status & configuration pages often have these details about MAC addresses for each interface. I am trying to relate the concerns about MAC and the apparent inability for the wireless adapter to acquire an IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back