Acer announces ultra-thin $899 'Aspire S24' AIO desktop PC with wireless charging

Polycount

Staff

Acer has announced an entirely new addition to their AIO desktop PC line-up today and it's the company's thinnest, sleekest option yet. Dubbed the Acer Aspire S24, the AIO machine comes in at a mere 0.235 inches in screen thickness with ultra-thin "champagne-gold" bezels.

Acer feels their S24 stands out for more than its aesthetic, though. The device also boasts a 24", 1920x1080p IPS display with "accurate colors up to 178-degrees." Acer has also integrated a wireless device charger into the S24's base, allowing you to charge your smartphone or any other Qi-enabled device without the need to take up an extra USB slot on the machine itself.

"We think customers in the United States will be delighted with the elegant aesthetics and convenient feature set of our newest all-in-one desktop," said Acer's American senior director of stationary products Frank Chang. "The ultra-slim form factor and wireless charging free up desk space, while ample power delivers smooth performance."

Speaking of connectivity, the S24 contains a single USB 3.1 Gen-1 Type-C port, three standard USB 3.1 Gen-1 ports and a lone USB 2.0 port. If one display isn't enough, Acer also says the S24 will contain an HDMI slot for a second monitor, though the company made no mention of other display connectivity options such as DisplayPort or DVI-D.

As is often the case with AIOs, the S24's unique design does come at the cost of performance. While far from the weakest AIO on the market, the S24 does not contain a dedicated video card, leaving graphics processing tasks to the integrated Intel UHD 620 present within the device's 8th-gen Intel i5 8250U processor.

The S24 contains 12GB of DDR4 RAM clocked at 2400MHz by default (with support for up to 32GB RAM) and a 1TB HDD for your storage needs. Acer has not specified the hard drive's speed anywhere on the S24's store page, so we've reached out to the company for clarification. Update: An Acer spokesperson has confirmed the HDD runs at 5400RPM.

If the Windows 10 Home-powered Acer Aspire S24 sounds like your type of device, US residents can pick one up right now directly from Acer for $899.

Permalink to story.

This is so stupid it hurts.

Because when you are sitting down, how thick the display you are viewing, matters.... !!! (Nobody cares how THICK a panel is, as long as it not rear-projection TV and stand 2 feet out from the wall. )

Aesthetic design implies unintrusive details. The thick golden bar up front is what spoils it for me.

Another SOS (style-over-substance) machine.

This is so stupid it hurts.

Because when you are sitting down...

It opens up like somebody is butthurt... I couldn't read the rest, ROFLMFAO :)

Last edited:
What is the purpose of these AIO machines? For that same $880 you can get really nice laptop or 2-in-1 convertible. Why would want all the penalties of a laptop, I.e. can't upgrade easily, can't really game, and at the same time get all the penalties of a desktop, I.e. not portable, too big and heavy etc., no battery backup? Who wants the product that is the worst of both worlds? This really makes no sense to me. And it is incredibly easy to connect a laptop/2-in-1 to practically in any screen (and you are free to buy the thinnest screen you want) and super easy to use any keyboard or mouse you like. And in this case, these AIOs is even missing a TB3 connector so you can't even make use of an eGPU. What the heck?

What is the purpose of these AIO machines? For that same $880 you can get really nice laptop or 2-in-1 convertible. Why would want all the penalties of a laptop, I.e. can't upgrade easily, can't really game, and at the same time get all the penalties of a desktop, I.e. not portable, too big and heavy etc., no battery backup? Who wants the product that is the worst of both worlds? This really makes no sense to me. And it is incredibly easy to connect a laptop/2-in-1 to practically in any screen (and you are free to buy the thinnest screen you want) and super easy to use any keyboard or mouse you like. And in this case, these AIOs is even missing a TB3 connector so you can't even make use of an eGPU. What the heck?

The only benefit I see is for people that want to maximize space as much as possible and want things to "look nice". I have never saw any "serious" power user buy one of these (I am sure some are out there) but I have met loads of people that like style over substance own one of these, including a researcher at a university that used 5k of his grant money for an iMac with no real need for the I admit impressive specs.

The only benefit I see is for people that want to maximize space as much as possible and want things to "look nice". I have never saw any "serious" power user buy one of these (I am sure some are out there) but I have met loads of people that like style over substance own one of these, including a researcher at a university that used 5k of his grant money for an iMac with no real need for the I admit impressive specs.

You were impressed by a Mac's specs? No, you weren't.

Well doesn't laptop/2-in-1 maximize space even better? After all a good one will definitely be usable even in the impossibly cramped airplane seat. And laptop/2-in-1 look nicer for the "look nice" reason. The style over substance people, well I guess there is not much you can do about those, but a laptop/2-in-1 still has more style. I suppose a fool and his money soon par after all, and if there is money to be made from the gullible somebody better step in fill that gap.

Handle it? You mean it is only bad when you are using it? Thanks for clarifying.
?
Not sure what you are asking/saying..? The article is about how thin a DISPLAY is. I was saying, since when does a displays thinness matter, unless it is a mobile device (phone, tablet, etc) and you are handling the device. If it just sits on a desk, who cares how thin a display is, it is of no consequence to the user.

Back